Tail light fuse keeps blowing

the socket for the fuse on my Micra K11 seems to be permantly live everytime i turn the key on even before i have selected the light switch. I have tried to change the fuse as it had blown and SCRACK!!!! blown again. I tried a 15 amp one and still the same a really vicous crack!!!. and spark. Help as its getting dark now in the mornings. I would appreciate any help on this. I am thinking mayby its a relay somewhere ?:down:

Have you checked that the wire isn't shorting out on the bodywork somewhere? I had a similar problem with my headlights a couple of months ago. Also check the ground cable is still attached as well

No i didnt, its is only on the brake light fuse. as soon as i switch on the ignition without putting on the lights the connection is live and if i put in a new 10 amp fuse PHuuut...( Thinks..S*&t). LOL. everything else is fine. Brill really. brakes lights work, front lights work fine. I just get the odd flash from head banger bill as he is flying past me on the motorway at six in the morning. (Why dont they get up earlier, lazy sods) but as the days shorten it is going to be a problem. I will check that out dan at the weekend thanks. Thanks to you both actually. :grinning:

I did put in a new stereo Opps, could it be that ? I noticed today that my side lights also do not work but I can get away with that. I am thinking go to Halfords and get a couple of red led bike lights and sit them on the parcel shelf as a temp fix till I get to the bottom of it. LOL

THATS IT!
You will have used a red/blue wire as the earth. Its the live to the rear lights/dash lights.
Your stereo should earth thru the aerial/stereo body.
Cut the wire and tape it up.
If your stereo doesnt work when refitted use the original mounting brackets screwed in or run an earth to the original mounting screw holes on the drivers side of the hole.

I said red/blue wire, think 2000 on Micras have a black yellow wire instead.

When your lights are off it shows as an earth but when you put the sidelights on it goes live.

When you fix it put a 10a fuse back in.

You know what guys I have been thinking about this for the past two day and the more I thought about it the more I realised that you were all right. So this weekend probebly sunday I will disinfect the radio and do what you said LOL. Thanks guys, all of you this is what makes the interweb so bloody good.

Back