T28BB long throw

cisco

» CMF Member
Here's my new T28BB long throw.

This is what's going on blue monster shortly.

Fire it up.

cisco

» CMF Member
I reckon we're talking 150kw@wheels pretty comfortably and the possibility of 3rd gear thinking about breaking traction in the dry.

Just have to stick with crappy tyres so the gearbox doesn't snap :)

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
*cough* dog box *cough*

Seriously though... Blue monster is a beast already... With this new bad boy in it.... christ... Like a mythical creature. lol.

One day, when i have a decent micra.. i might come to a meet to see it!... lol.

Also, How loud are dog box's really? Stupidly loud? I really have no idea... Just curious.

Cameron.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah it might be smart to just stick to my former power level but running the lower boost and not try to push it. hah.

Nah how could you. I reckon I'll run it at 17-18psi for the street and peaking at that, things should be apples, well the engine will be anyway. Have to see how tough the super 31v gearbox is. I don't really want to be replacing it, or having it rebuilt with custom gearsets! zoiks. I like my syncros.

Hopefully its just going to be top end power gain, not all that much torque difference. Torque is what snaps gearboxes, so let's hope she'll be apples heh.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Zoiks!! Godzilla on steroids.
The rear wheels will catch up with the front ones.
Looking forward to this upgrade Cisco !!
150kw at the wheels??
Me thinks you will have to do some serious thinking about tyres and what size rims.

cisco

» CMF Member
Its off a JDM S14/S15 silvia.
Its the ball bearing version that the aussie 200sxs never got. Just an OEM version of a GT25.

If you put these and a GT25 next to each other, they look identical, even the markings on the housing.

cisco

» CMF Member
Not all that much point upgrading from 15x6.5"s to 15x7s. Can still more than happily fit 205s on a 6.5" rim anyway.

Dish does look nice though :)

Yeah she'll be right.

Today I tracked down a pipe from an aussie 200sx that bolts to the front of this turbo and runs to the air filter.
Its a factory cast alloy pipe, 2 3/4" in diameter and bolts up perfectly. About 300mm in length with a 45deg bend in it somewhere apparently. Should be able to suit my setup perfectly.

Its starting to come together.

CMF_carlos_fergando

» CMF Member
my friend has a saab 900 turbo not sure if you have that model in aus, he said that turbo's do not a back box for the pressure etc.

He has no back box just a pipe running from manifold straight through. it is really loud, but also his car performs great.

is he right?

cisco

» CMF Member
Aussie spec 200sxs aren't ball bearing.

Only the JDM silvias had the bb turbos.

Aussie 200sxs are normal bush bearing T28s.

Here's an email from Nissan:

Below is an email from Nissan regarding ball bearing T28BB turbos.
I have highlighted in bold the relevant part numbers.
*Both the japanese automatic s15 turbo and the japanese s14s use the same turbos and have the same serial no's so im not sure which car it has come off.
----------------------------------------
Basically ALL t28's for ADM s14/15 use the following part no's:

Jap PS13 14411-50F00
AU/NZ S14 (pre-facelift) 14411-75F00
AU/NZ S14 (facelift) 14411-75F00
Jap S14 (pre-facelift) 14411-69F00
Jap S14 (facelift) 14411-82F01
Jap S14 (Autech/270R) 14411-RP801 (Same as S15 early MT turbo)
Jap/ NZ S15 (early*) 14411-91F00 Manual model only
Jap/ NZ S15 (early*) 14411-69F00 Automatic models

Jap/ NZ/ AU S15 late* 14411-75F00 Same as NZ S14 and same for both Auto and manual

With reference to your inquiry about turbos, we advise the following: Australian S14 & S15 use the same turbo, which is a Garret T04B, with "plain bush" type bearing. Roller bearing turbos are only on Japanese domestic model. I trust this satisfies your inquiry.

Regards
Val Davis (Mrs.)
Mgr - Customer Relations
Nissan Australia
ph 03 9797 4111
fax 03 9797 4408

CMF_Ghetto Micra

» CMF Member
regarding dog boxes...

I had a straight cut gear set made by PAR Engineering in Sydney. They have two options, straight cut with synchro's or straight cut dog-gears.

I got the synchro set, meaning the gears are still straight cut (for strength) but I still had synchro's. It shifted just like a regular factory gearbox, was WAY stronger, and made a little noise...

It whine's as your driving, just like the sound you hear when your driving in reverse, constantly whining.

I had 1st through 4th straight cut, and retained the factory 5th gear, which is ideal for fwy driving (no whine noise to annoy you). i must admit the whining never really got to me.. infact it's kinda cool, and you get a LOT of looks. haha

The gearset cost about $4k. probably more if I went with 5th and a new crown wheel too.. recommended! :)

cisco

» CMF Member
Sounds like an awesome setup ghetto.
Wonder how much they would charge to make a set for the micra. If I break the 31V, it might be an option one day. But screwed if I could be bothered throwing another $5k at the car. I'd rather just wind down the boost!

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
What is the other strenghtening process I have read about? Shotpeening or bluebrinting or something along those lines?

Its relatively cheap - I dont think you can really go wrong because it makes the gearset something like 20% stronger or something.

Cant remember the figures all i remember is that it is pretty good value for money.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yes shotpeening is one way to get extra strength.
Puts millions of microscopic holes on the surface which means the oil sticks to it better. Blue printing also. That mate of Errols whom he calls the gearbox Guru does a lot of rally gearboxes and even when the car is brand new he strips the gearbox down and blueprints, shotpeens it etc.
There is also cryogenics where the metal is frozen and this changes the property of the metal.
I have seen this done in the plastics industry on certain bits of machinery used in the injection moulding process where there is extreme pressure /heat on certain parts.
Strenghten standard gearbox or put in a bigger tougher one??

cisco

» CMF Member
The T28BB just arrived.

Yay. Its in awesome condition. No shaft play, it spins so freely (can tell the ball bearing compared to the crusty old T25). Compressor housing is noticably larger (.60 A/R).

Can't wait to slam her on.

Ordering a datrats alloy radiator tomorrow.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah will be interesting.

Could go two ways:
- boost threshold too high and end up wanting another T25.
- acceptable boost threshold and woofta away we go spinning the wheels in third gear.

Deleted User

» CMF Member
just a question r u sellin your t25 now that u have the t28

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Its going to be interesting to see how the T28BB holds up on a CG... Alot of the turbocharged Suzuki Swift's use T28BB's and don't even seem to bother with using a T25 in the first place.

It'd be good to see how this thing goes, I wouldn't mind being able to make over 100kw@w with the same boost that I'm running now, with a huge amount more torque too....

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Yes a new interesting chapter in the life of the monster.

The exhaust housing looks a bit larger, but not much at all. That's what gives you the spool time, so not much difference there. Plus the bb centre is a good thing.

The compressor is quite larger, so yeah should flow decent amounts of air, keep the air lots cooler than the T25 for the same boost level. I'm hoping that it might make the same power it did at say 13-14psi or something, that would be just ace.

I just pulled the turbo half apart and rotated the compressor housing to where I want it. Wait until the radiator is in place later this week to finalise the orientation of the exhaust housing.

Things not all that far away from completion. But fast approaching a bad time of year for getting anything done. Xmas - when everything and everyone closes down for a coupla weeks heh.

cisco

» CMF Member
Note: I had to remove the exhaust housing right off to rotate it. But you can rotate the compressor housing by just loosening it. Had to loosen and rotate both, so that I could effectively rotate the centre section so that the oil return was vertically straight down. That's a key constraint that you have to get right first for any turbo positioning. Luckily, you can rotate compressor housing, centre and exhaust housing on this turbo whereever you want all relative to each other.

cisco

» CMF Member
Once the exhaust housing was a bit more free, I could rotate it around just with the screws loose. Just had to break the seal kind of thing.

Allright. As of now, the turbo is all rotated and oriented perfectly for how its going to be fitted. Oil feed fitting is installed, coolant feed and return lines are fitted, just need to get an oil return fitting to bolt to the turbo, the T25 one is a different size, so I'm keeping that with the T25.

Got out the air die grinder today and grinded off the factory cast lines and other assorted scuff marks off the compressor housing. Smoothed it out a lot, then got this drill fitting polishing wheel thing and attacked the compressor housing with it. Really made an awesome difference. Kind of just did a 75% job and focused on the areas that will be visible when looking into the engine bay.

Here's some pics of the turbo all oriented the right way for the micra and ready to roll!

cisco

» CMF Member
Sorry blake, the T25 was sold to White Knight for a friend of his.

Back