switches and new gauges installed (25pics)

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
another interior project finished. thought i would share it with you. the idea was a 10 switch console and 4 new gauges installed.

step 1) to look were the switch panel is going. design it, cut the design out of MDF. drill the holes were it will be screwed through, plus the holes for the switches, dont rush, presise measurment is essential if you want it looking good. sand it. then apply:

2 coats of prime
2 coats of base coat (actual colour you will see) and finaly
2 coats of laquer

leave 24hrs to dry through each of the 3 stages of spraying the pannel.

Attachments

• 11230.jpg
    11230.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 38

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
pic from back, the switches were put through the holes then glued in for extra strength in securing the switches to the pannel (using hot glue gun)

Attachments

• 11233.jpg
    11233.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 34

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
connecting negative, linking them all together so there is no need for 10 negatives, 10 positives etc. just one positive to the battery (fused...very important!)then linked all the neg terminals on the back of the switches together.

Attachments

• 11236.jpg
    11236.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 31

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
slowly coming together. here you can see the one wire that is connected to a ring connecter (using a crimp tool, saves time and is a go for a neater job):

Attachments

• 11238.jpg
    11238.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 27

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
only just, but very close. here i was lucky because i didnt take in to account the bulkiness of the switches. but it fits so no worries:

Attachments

• 11243.jpg
    11243.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 30

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
after you have finally decided were your gauges are going then its time to feed all the wires from the gauges to the switch pannel, and the senders (example, if you were installing a tacho this 'signal' wire would go to you ignition coil)to the engine bay.

Attachments

• 11246.jpg
    11246.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 27

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
grounded the actual gauges behind the standard gauge cluster. feed all the neccesary wires through, use cable ties for neater installations:

Attachments

• 11247.jpg
    11247.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 25

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
last but not least feed them to the pannel ready to be connected to the switch terminals on the back of the switches

Attachments

• 11248.jpg
    11248.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 29

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
already installed and connected to my cars ignition system included a tacho and air/fuel ratio gauge. i decide to connect this to the switches aswell.

Attachments

• 11254.jpg
    11254.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 36

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
so opinions welcome. personally i am well chuffed. lent the tools. got given all the connecters fuses etc. i already had the paint left over from when i spraid my dash. the only thing i bpought was extra insulation tape and the atual gauges. i even had some MDF that was of perfect size.

everyone sees the switch pannel and the gauges as the focal point of my cars interior. well pleased.

ONE HUGE PIECE OF ADVISE IF ANYONE TRIES THIS:

when linking the switches as i hav done, make sure after connecting each one you mak sure it works e.g have the positive ready to connect to the no.1 switch and the ground reafy also. if switch no.1 (the one with the main positive going to the car's battery and the one also with the main negative connected to it) doesnt work then no.10 wont. if 1 2 3 4 5 and 6 work but 7 doesnt then 7 8 9 and 10 wont. sound more compicated than it really is.

JUST CHECK EACH ONE AS YOU GO ALONG.

hope i have been helpful here as there has been loads of unanswered quesions regarding gauges and switches. although i do have one request from anyone that knows:

were does the sender attach to with regards to the oil and water temp. im tempted to solder it on to the 2 ecu wires that recives these 2 signals. any good pics tho would be great. thanks

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
THAT LOOKS ABSOLUTLY AWESOME!!!

IM GLEAD UR PLEASED WITH IT CAUSE IT JUST LOOKS MINK!!!

the only thing im not sure about is "what do they connect to"!?
are all the switches linked to sumting?

other than that very nice

napster

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
yi, switch 1's positive terminal goes directly to the cars battery or other 12 V source, always better going to the battery and fusing it....saftey 1st!.

then all the positives are linked from terminal to terminal. same with the negative, that is grounded in one of the above pics very close to the actual switch pannel. makes no difference were tho least its grounded securley. then the positives from the accsessories you want to add just connect to the switches positive terminal.

there is 1 neg and 2 positives, there is only 2 positives with mine as my switches have LED's in them so they neede to be powered when lit up.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
kirby, cant belive you have said that. that was my original intentions. i originally planed to have them on the roof above the rear view mirror. gadgets everywere but not OTT.

you know were i can get missile launchers and machine guns from ha ha lol. cheers for the compliments guys...much appreciated. i worked very hard on it.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Id does look pretty cool :) But yeh, looks like theyre all just linked to each other?

Maybe install 10 NOS shots and have them all firing off those? (if your engine can handle 10 shots) :D~~~~

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
i was actually thinking of a nos purge kit, or i could go down the 'fire extinguisher' route, least i could actually fit that somwere ha. that would be a first in a micra wouldnt it?

CMF_Reichard TUV

» CMF Member
great job!

can you explain to me in which way can I install oil temp and prex? temp and prex sensors already exist on Micra or I must install them?

excuse me for my bad english, I'm italian! ;)

Attachments

• 11676.jpg
    11676.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 32

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
i was hoping someone would get back to me on that one prefable with pictures. that and the water temp are the ones that are installed but not connected to the engine

can anyone help????
please??????

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
ha, least the look i wanted has been achived.
cisco do you have any idea of were in the engine bay the water/oil temp sensors go, any help would be appreciatd.
cheers

Attachments

• 11720.jpg
    11720.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 25

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
lol, that would be a camera holder. love communicating with educated people. presume you have no idea were the gauge sensors go then!

Back