Lightweight fly and new clutch! w00t

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
w00t. Weekend worth of clutch changing goodness!

First up - omg it all worked like a charm. Every bolt undid properly and everything just came apart like it should. Fantastic. Oh, except for the gearbox. The dowels in the bellhousing were a little corroded and needed some serious levering to budge.

Took me and a mate a day in total.

Rear main seal was a mongrel - ended up following the Haynes suggestion of removing the whole rear main seal seat and re-gasketing the plate when the new seal was installed (turns out mine was leaking too so lucky i decided to change it).

Putting the gearbox back in was amazing, input shaft simply slipped into the clutch assembly perfectly, first go. Took a bit of effort to get it back on the dowles but it wasnt too difficult.

Great fun really.

Took it for a little drive after sorting out an oil leak, one of the driveshafts wasnt seated properly darn it. OMG!

Lightweight flywheel, 5.5kg custom chromoloy job is the best thing I've done to the car. Its sooooo much nicer to drive. Doesnt struggle up hills. Just loves to scream out to the redline. Aircon also doesnt make the car bog down as much as it used to, having 2 mates in the car also feels awesome (was still able to teach a 1.6L n14 pulsar a lesson :p). Haven't given it any real curry yet - going to let the clutch bed in for 1000km at least. It feels REALLY light (LUK HD kit) and I'm actually a bit dissapointed at the feel at the moment. It doesnt bite very hard at all infact its a bit soft but that could very well change in the next 1000km.

Might have some pictures up soon. Flywheel looks so sexy.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Bad news. Sprung a leak of gearbox oil, not sure from where havent had a chance to get under it and have a look. Hopefully its a driveshaft seal.

Driving with the aircon on is no longer painful! Simply awesome.

Bit worried about the clutch though. VERY spongey feel and it doesnt bite too well at all. Went to extreme lengths to ensure the friction surface wasnt contaminated during the installation. Only done 150km on it though so there's another few hundred KM before i'll know if something is wrong or the clutch is just a crap clutch.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Yom,

Glad you hear you are happy with the lightweight flywheel. I have also found they make a big difference.

I suspect you obtained your new clutch from "raceclutch" in Brisbane like I did ?. The one I got was the LUK sport model matched with the larger diameter (190mm) driven plate from a 1600cc pulsar. I also found the clutch VERY light at first but it firmed up a bit after a while.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well clutch is getting a bit harder to press which is awesome. Its starting to feel really good and its beginning to bite quite nicely.

A few problems have sprung up though. GEarbox leak. NFI what the go is there, it seems to be coming from the lower gasket goo seam connecting the the 2 halves of the casing together... WTF?

Also it seems the notch on my crankshaft (small notch which has been carved out by the old seal) appears to be causing problems. I noticed what appears to be engine oil building between the crush plate and the bellhousing. SH!T SH!T SH!T SH!T :(

Looks like the box is going to have to come out again to allow an inspection of the seal area and also re-do the gasket goo gasket on the gearbox.

Back