New exhaust cat converter and discs

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
I took my car in for a service today, and mentioned to my mechanic that there was a reasonably loud rattle coming from the exhaust system when the car was idleing, He confirmed what I thought, that the cat converter was stuffed. I think maybe this could be from when it was losing oil/blowing smoke etc, when the old rings were worn. Just a build up of rubbish in there.

Anyway that will be replaced, and also whilst at it, I will get them to replace the current 2 1/4" press bent cat back exhaust, with a 2 1/2" mandrel bent one.

Also the sr20 front discs will be replaced with new slotted front discs. (I think form an sr20, but I forgot to ask). I was getting a lot of vibration through the steering wheel while braking. when they checked them I think they were warped. They were sourced second hand for a cheap price.

So hopefully when I get it back on Saturday, I might notice some small top end improvements I'm told. And also much smoother braking.

Any way, an expensive service none the less:)

Cheers.

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
Cheers Dave.

At the moment it is 2. I am working on lowering it. I've played since I was twelve, and worked in the golf industry for ten years. Hence why I know much more about Golf than cars:).

Although since buying the Micra 2 years ago, and finding you guys, I know ten times more than I did:)

cisco

» CMF Member
Wow 2 that's awesome man. Almost a pro - top effort.
Golf frustrated me too much, I couldn't handle it :) I played in some young cadets thing in Newcastle for a year or something when I was young. Lost so many balls and wigged out haha.

Great news about the service. I know what a pain it is to have warped rotors. Be great to get it sorted.

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
Well I got the car back today. The new exhaust sounds awesome. A louder, deeper rumble compared to the higher raspier note from the old 2" one.

Also the new discs are fitted. There is still some pulsating through the brake peddle. Gerald said that it might be caused by the rear drums not being quite right,as the discs are perfect.

Anyway it will go back to the mechanics on Thursday. They will rectify the brake problem. Also they will give it a run on the dyno, to make sure all is well after fitting the new exhaust. They are not going to charge me for either of these. I am happy with that, a little customer service goes a long way in my book:)

Gareth. Learning all the time.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Thats great service Gareth.
Hmm sounds like that red terror of yours is making all the right noises. I agree that a nice deep rumble is great.Comes from the heart I reckon.
Any more puffs of smoke out the exhaust??

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
I was getting the occasional puff of smoke, very occasional mind you:) But after the new Cat, and exhaust were fitted it is no longer doing it. Could have been that the old cat was already damaged, and then finally started braking up?

The car will be ready to pick up first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be running beautifully then, and I will have a nice leisurely cruise to work:)

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
Well had the car back for a couple of days now, and it seems to be running really well. My mechanic had the car for a full day on Thursday, which he spent sorting the brake issue, and also the exhaust which was hitting the front sway bar a little when accelerating, and also gave it a run on the dyno. So now there are virtually no rattles at all, and the brakes are very smooth. Very happy. And whats more he did it all for no charge.

I would be happy to recommend him to anyone. He isn't the cheapest and I have had one or two delays, but he is always on the phone with an explanation which I always appreciate. And the service there is very good. So if you don't mind Cisco, for any one interested, I will mention Springwood Car Care & Exhaust. Call (02) 4751 6036, and ask for Gerald.

The readout on the dyno run they did was in BHP. It made 126.5BHP at the wheels, which I think is about 94.3kw. Does that sound about right? Anyway that gives me an idea of what the car should be capable of. Now to go and improve my launches and run some respectable times:). When I get a chance I will post up the graph.

Cheers guys.

Gareth.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah that's a great result Gareth.
Certainly pumping out some decent grunt now.

CMF_rocket

» CMF Member
Good work mate, there seems to be so many turbo micra around I am starting to get itchy...lol... good work hope to see your cars in the future hope that you beats some V8 and those import cars that are everywhere, keep up the good work.

Back