Swaping body panels

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Just wondering, as and when I'm insuring the car, I want it to be as cheap as possible, right? I heard, that changing the bodywork, for example, putting a Super S spoiler on a twister, would cost more to insure? Is this correct?

Only if you tell them. Wouldn't be much point on an OEM spoiler.

Stuff like that can come from factory and would be pretty difficult to prove it was added by you.

Surely that would make the insurance invalid though?
I can buy a Micra tomorrow that has a wrap around spoiler. That spoiler could have been added by someone 8 years ago for example.
How am I to know?

If you want to declare every tiny thing, then it's up to you.
You might want to declare your tyres too as they certainly weren't factory.

I can buy a Micra tomorrow that has a wrap around spoiler. That spoiler could have been added by someone 8 years ago for example.
How am I to know?

If you want to declare every tiny thing, then it's up to you.
You might want to declare your tyres too as they certainly weren't factory.
Yeah, that's a very good point. However I'm one of those people that would constantly worry about it :l
Do you know why these things cost more?

Yeah, that's a very good point. However I'm one of those people that would constantly worry about it :l
Do you know why these things cost more?
Why they cost more? Not sure why cosmetic changes increase the price when it doesn't affect the cars value at all...

I wouldn't worry. Not as if you're adding a huge drift style spoiler. At least I hope you're not :)

I need a drift style spoiler... 54bhp.. its massive. No, I just want the little wrap around one from a Super S. Just to improve cosmetics. Also thinking alloys and a 35mm drop... Insurance would literally kill me for that I'm sure :S.

I need a drift style spoiler... 54bhp.. its massive. No, I just want the little wrap around one from a Super S. Just to improve cosmetics. Also thinking alloys and a 35mm drop... Insurance would literally kill me for that I'm sure :S.
Best thing to if your worried is phone up your insurance and tell them you thinking about doing what ever it is vut looking for a price first and see how badly it affects you ive got a years no claims and 3 points and alliys added an extra £32 and lowering was free because u booked them at the same time.

Best thing to if your worried is phone up your insurance and tell them you thinking about doing what ever it is vut looking for a price first and see how badly it affects you ive got a years no claims and 3 points and alliys added an extra £32 and lowering was free because u booked them at the same time.
Hrm, that's not too bad. My situation is a little odd though: I'm buying the car soon, within the month hopefully, and keeping it, and fixing her up on my dads drive. But... With all this stuff about modifications coming to light, not much I can do. What mods can be done without affecting the insurance..?

Really speaking there isn't anything you can do that wont affect your insurance, even factory fitted options need to be declared, seriously go get a quote and add mods, you'll have options for factory fitted alloys, splitters and what not.

But as Scott said oem stuff won't matter as these cars are well over 10 years old now so they can't say that you put it on, and in the event of an accident they'll only write it off anyway

Well depends what you want to tell your insurance or how sneaky you want to be like you could "lower" it but do it with "sports" springs which are just black versions of lowering springs kilen make them and for the spoiler you could say the car has some optional extras all depends how straight you want to be technically you have to declare everything including stickers cigarette usb adaptors etc. but thats just insane and no one does it or will.

I've got no stereo in my car but you wont find an insurer willing to give a discount :p

Don't worry about OEM add-ons, I highly doubt the insurance database distinguishes between optional items on models.

In my eyes, anything that's optional, or a nissan part (pulsar alloys, ga16 airbox, almera calipers) I personally haven't/won't declare, dealers add OEM parts to sweeten the deal on second hand cars all the time, and you wouldn't know the difference, so why should I pay for it, when most cars are driving around without declaring OEM options.

Back