Suspension Setups

CMF_Schnapper

» CMF Member
Hey all,

I have been searching and searching for suspension details on the Micra. It needs to be lower, asap, and trying to avoid buying coil overs at the moment.

I saw somewhere someone said Civic springs fit in the front.... with a little weight reduction to the spring...

Which Civic front springs fit? I'm after the firmer ride, Matiz struts to come later.

Any recommendations as to which rear springs will match? For firmness, short stroke shocks to boot?

Have looked everywhere, not sure if looking hard enough :/

Thanks in advance!

Also, where do you all get your bits from? Ebay doesn't really have much support for SA!

CMF_niiCk

» CMF Member
Hey man,
I have the matiz front setup ready for you:) will let it go for cheap and can post it for you:)
https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/71938

btw, ive fitted civic springs before, and they have such a high spring rate that when you lower the car, it doesnt even compress at all and pretty much have no suspension travel.

The matiz setup is pretty much perfect and i daily it with no problems.

If youre really keen, send me a PM, i can work out a price for you for the matiz front setup and help you with the rear.

Thanks,
Nick

CMF_hotfunk67

» CMF Member
2 sets of Matiz rear springs and a set of Barina rear shocks.

Looks like this

Micra-1-2.jpg

nice daily height and doesnt rattle your teeth out.

CMF_Schnapper

» CMF Member
Well what do you know! I have front suspension on its way, have back suspension sitting in the back of my car(boot, not installed..... yet) and I have some wheels waiting for me too ;) I'll reveal once I have them in my arms!

BUT as far as tires go, where would be the best bet for some 185/55-14s or 185/50-14s??? Any other sizes to recommend for some 14x6" wheels?

Also, should I put in the rear suspension now and get it over and done with? My ratchet fingers are really trembling....

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Schnapper WROTE:

"Barina SB shocks have a wider metal sleeve in the bottom! Have to get a new bottom bush/sleve in there. Springs are in but just waiting on sag now...

Use the micra metal sleeve

CMF_Schnapper

» CMF Member
Don't have a press to get the bush out.

I'll go to a suspension joint to see if someone will have a smaller sleeve to go in. Also, since the shocks aren't the shorter stroke and I *cough* forgot *cough* to put in the bump stop it rattles around like crazy, will fix this on Friday.

Seems like if I put the bump stops in there will be hardly any drop as it's only just lower as it is now....

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Schnapper WROTE:

Seems like if I put the bump stops in there will be hardly any drop as it's only just lower as it is now....

here,s the angle of my panhard rod (more or less horizontal) which is a better measure of drop considering we all use different wheels/tyres/arch roll.
its about an 80mm drop iirc, and the springs are still captive with the astra shocks (with 1mm shaved off each side of the lower bush, and an m10 bolt used)

Attachments

• 73187.jpg
    73187.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 41

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
Hey hotfunk67 mind posting a side view of the car just wanna see how the clearance is like. How far does the car sit above ground? Also are you using standard uncut matiz rear springs at both front and rear of the micra? Standard front shocks?

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
So how is the handling? any negative effect considering its the same rated springs at both ends and there more weight at the front than at the rear. Would there be any chance the springs might work it way loose ie, going over bumps on rough road and then one of your spring came poping out?
Ps nice clearance tho look like +100mm so fairly legal.

CMF_hotfunk67

» CMF Member
Handles much better than it used to, doesnt feel like it's going to fall over in the corners now:)
The springs are captive at both ends so no they are not going to come loose.
It may not be the ultimate handling package but it is comfortable for use as a daily and looks much better than the standard height. There are no chopped springs and it is legal height so no unwanted attention. I didnt want to go super low so this is perfect for what I wanted and I can still get up my driveway. Best thing is it cost me just over a hundred bucks, Bargain.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Im running Daewoo matiz struts with 3coils cut handles so good but want to cut another just so the car sits level

CMF_Schnapper

» CMF Member
****! Going to put the matiz struts in and they dont fit in the micra strut standard holes. any tips on removing the micra top hats? Ill need a spring compressor now right? On my way to the shop :(

CMF_Schnapper

» CMF Member
Ohk, well I've got the strut tops off the matiz struts but can't get the tops off the micra struts.... the hole in the top of the cone thing is too small to get a spanner in so I can't get anything on to the bit of the bolt sticking upwards which is flat.

And then the problem of putting the new strut in is the same because the I wont have any way to stop the shock bolt thing spinning....

I also don't have a rattle gun.

Back