Super S/SR

M

Muttly

Hey all. I'm new and I'm considering buying either a Super S or most likely a SR (cheaper insurance). I'm driving a 300bhp 200sx everyday and its killing me so I want something more sensible but still not dull. What do people think of the Super S or the SR. Also what spec are they? And what should I look out for when buying one?

Cheers.
Martin.

I've just got an SR and really like it. The Super S is also nice but is the older model. The SR has electric windows, sunroof, sports seats, remote boot/fuel cap release, etc as standard.

The major problem with them is rust due to the sunroof. The sunroof drain pipes can block up and cause water to sit in the sills just behind the doors. This quite often results in holes straight through the sills.

I've just got an SR and really like it. The Super S is also nice but is the older model. The SR has electric windows, sunroof, sports seats, remote boot/fuel cap release, etc as standard.

the super s comes with all that as standard aswell. well mine did so i would go for either 1

problem are, rusty sills, and rusty front cross member. also look at the boot floor as they go abit rusty (not bad but surface rust) might get you some money off if your buying from someone who doesnt know alot. and just look for anything that you would if buying anyother car.

its little extra features you get with the sr over the super s, better stereo, headlight height adjuster, trim etc

generally the're the same car though.

as said sills and cross member are the problem try a search i can't remember if there was a guide to buying type thread.

:)

Well, I learn something every time I log on to this site. Never thought about clogged sunroof drains causing a problem with the sills. Although my sills have been patched, great gouts of water still come streaming out, after it rains, when I back down the driveway. Couldn't figure out how it was getting in. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the drains.

Thanks for the input, Pete

S

No problem :)

When I got my SR the sills were rather rusty, and the cause was the sunroof!

although the sunroof doesn't help matters, it's not entirely to blame for rust on inside of the sills, my current Si and old one aswell as squarepants' Si all non sunroof models have an issue with sill rot.

Thanks for the replies so far!
What are the engines like. How're they for mileage? The one I was looking at is a 97 in black with a sunroof etc. Its for sale in a garage called First Gear Cars for £999 with 123000 miles on the clock, its not listed on their site but it's listed on autotrader with the post code LE67 5DT.
How economic are they, remembering now I'm used to 20mpg on a good day. Could I see 35mpg out of it? As it'll be going to and from work it'll be mostly dual carriageway some motorway.

i get an average of 40mpg but ive got bigger wheels (16's), exhaust and k&n air filter so mpg figures should be better standard probs 50's id imagine

motorway mileage better figure again

oh yeh and a boot full of subs lol

Sweet. I've a set of 15's off a Pulsar VZR same as Almera GTi so I'll throw them on it and drop it down nicely. I think I spotted H&R 45mm springs so should sit very well.

first ive heard of that mines lowered 35mm on apexi springs cost me think it was £90 from motorworld after saying i could get them cheaper elsewhere this was 2 years ago thou

when you lower the micra by any amount the standard panhard rod no longer suits the set up, an adjustable one is needed.

the wheels won't sit straight and you'll get uneven tyre wear and the lower you go the more you will feel the difference. that said nearly everyone who has lowered 30-35mm keeps the standard one and never notices any problems.

so, you can use the standard rod for 35mm drop but it is better to get an adjustable one.

mileage is not a problem with the engines see if the timing chain rattle while its running, it'll be fine if it rattles on start up then goes away, if it contines to rattle then the chain might need replacing for a fair few £££.

mpg is usually 45 driven nicely.

Are adjustable rods easy come by? Since I'm in Ireland I'd be hoping to go over and pick up the car and maybe even the rod and the springs.

Back