SR or Super S?

H

hairy

Hi I have a 1998 SR (according to the log book) but my local Nissan dealer say that it comes back as a Super S.

The car is no transfers on it at all.

It is red with red side rubber trim, red wheel arch flaps. Fog lights. Grren/blue dials

Additionally ABS and rear disc brakes.

Im new to Micras and a bit in the dark here.

Can anyone give me any suggestions here.

Cheers

Hairy

they are exactly the same car i believe exept the SR came with back discs!

they change from super to SR in '98

but im k10. a k11 expert (or resident geek IAN) will inform you more if ne thing u need to know

Cheers. Really weird. Mine is a 1 Aug 1997 car. States SR on log book and has rear disks and ABS (which I might say will stop a freight train when stomped on!!).

The parts guy at Nissan commented that the red "mud flaps" for want of a better word were not SR fitments.

Regards

Hairy

Yea, its an SR. No super S (to my knowlage) came with discs all round but Ian will correct me if i'm wrong i'm sure!

its an SR they stoped making super S in 96 :)

the rear disks and ABS were an optional extra mate, not every SR has them. still they are pretty much the same car SR is an updated version of the super S thats all :)

Dr Zoidberg said:
its an SR they stoped making super S in 96 :)

the rear disks and ABS were an optional extra mate, not every SR has them. still they are pretty much the same car SR is an updated version of the super S thats all :)

thought that!

Cheers all

I had read some where (here in fact!) that they finished in 1996, but the Nissan parts guy threw me a bit!

I have a Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 GSI, but this little Micra is more fun to drive. We fight over who is going to use it! Its our second one. We had a 1993 1.3 LX about 5 years ago. Completely bullet proof - so reliable.

But this one is calling out for modding!

Cheers

Hairy

abs and rear disks were standard in no k11 and optional in all of them. its usually the super s and sr you see them in though. i have seen them in other models. all in all though very rare and a pleasure to see them whan you can.

the SR also has pillar mounted tweaters too :).

i believe the SR has a different suspension set up to a super s. Weather it is superior or not too the super s i do not know although JayY swears the SR handles much better.

Ian

Yeah, mine has the tweeters on the A frame pillars.

Must say that (given standard that it is the SR - no mods) it handles really well,far better than my old 1.3LX

Hairy

in my opinion i think if you notice difference in handling is because its a newer micra with harder bushes and less worn shocks etc.

Hi

The 1.3 LX was only 6 months old when I bought it in 1993. This one is 7 years old this year. So the LX would have been tighter all round.

Perhaps I have just got used to big lumbering MPVs!

Hairy

i would disagree beachboy. My LX was on M reg as is my super s. I found that the super s could handle bends much faster then the LX. Several other people agreed with me on this.

RE: RE: SR or Super S?

Ian said:
the SR also has pillar mounted tweaters too :).

i believe the SR has a different suspension set up to a super s. Weather it is superior or not too the super s i do not know although JayY swears the SR handles much better.

Ian

Yes i reckon it does. So does my mate who had both, so does MTB.
From 96-98 they had a diffrent suspension set-up from 93-96.

Ian said:
i would disagree beachboy. My LX was on M reg as is my super s. I found that the super s could handle bends much faster then the LX. Several other people agreed with me on this.

I would agree with Ian on this as the Super S had anti-roll bars and the rest didn't. My mums 1.0L handles like a [swear filter evasion is not big or clever!] compared to my mates Super S

Hi

From 1996 they all had anti roll bars, which would explain why I feel it handled better than my 1993 LX.

Hairy

Sorry you are quite correct all 1.3s had anti roll bars from 1993. All derivatives had ARB's from 1996.

Still think SR handles better ;-)

Hairy

looking at nissan parts system.there is no part suspension wise different from an lx to a super s. so the only difference in handling can be from bush or shock wear. steering feel maybe different from power steering and non pas k11, pas has a shorter ratio rack i think aswell. further to this there is no part difference from sr to super s to lx. they are all the same. the only time the suspension changed was in august 1999 when an extra bush is inserted into the front strut assembly.

Cheers Beachboy. I had not considered the PAS. I think this will acount for the feeling of better handling.

Lets face it, they all handle pretty well out of the packet!

Hairy

i think your wrong dude. As far as i know the suspension was revisied in 96. Has any one seen that table that compares an Super S to an SR? it tell you the diffrences in suspension. micrapete had it i think

i think your wrong dude. As far as i know the suspension was revisied in 96. Has any one seen that table that compares an Super S to an SR? it tell you the diffrences in suspension. micrapete had it i think

i could be wrong i'm just going on data from the fast nissan parts cd. i only know about the suspension revisions in 1996 which meant 1.0 k11 then had standard anti roll bars like the 1.3. dont know of any other revisions. the only other thing i can find is in 1999 the rear shocks didnt have dust cover lol. but that not really going to effect handling.

Right, heres the diffrences between the Super S and SR (got this from my brochure and MicraHolics)

Suspension:

Front:

Super S:
Independant by McPherson Struts, with coil springs and integral shock absorbers and lower arms. Anti roll Bar

SR: Independent struts with coil srings and hydraulic, telescopic shock absorbers. Anti-roll bar

Rear:

Super S: Semi-independant by trailing upper and lower link and axle beam, and located by Panhard rod. Coil springs and telescopic shock absorbers. Anti-roll bar

SR: Five-link with coil springs separted from hydraulic, telescopic shock absorbers. Anti-roll bar

All 1996-1998 are like the SR set up (1.0&1.3).

All 1993-1996 are like the Super S, but the 1.0's dont have anti-roll bars.(Possibly 1.3's!)

0-62mph

Super S: 11.5 SR: 12

From 1996 they all had a high mounted brake light

SR came standard with alloys

Super S had a 3-spoke steering wheel, SR had 4-spoke steering with airbag. (All 1996 onwards had an airbag apart from some 'Shape' models)

Electric windows where standard on the SR. As was central locking

All 1996 onwards had front side-impact bars in the doors

SR had the A-pillar tweeters

There where diffrent upholstery option on the Super S

Power steering was an option on both (If you had power steering on the SR it will also have Rear Discs and ABS)

Rear Discs and ABS was an option on both

All 1996 onwards came with footrest rests

All 1996-1998 had rounder grill

Super S had a rear ashtray

Rear fog light switch was on the dash in the 1993-1996 models, and on the indicator stalk on 1996 onwards.

SR had green dials

All 1996-1998 had a rolled, silver back box end

All 1996 onwards had a tilt steering wheel

yes '93-'96 abs was an option.

edit:

From being in both super s and SR i didn't notice any difference in handling but over the LX there seemed to be less body roll and it stuck to the road better.

i totally agree with jay here there was a difference.

No anti-roll bars
my previous 1.3 Lx (1993) was truly shocking round corners as standard. the body roll nearly tipped you out of your seat lol. the understeer was also very very bad. all round a horrible setup suspension wise.
the addition of the eibach lowering springs made an incredible difference and i thought it was second to non. next followed the addition of wider wheels as an upgrade from the piddly 155-75-13 steelies up to 195-45-15, the improvement in grip levels was again quite incredible. the car now held the round very well and only occasionally lost grip and began to slide, however the tendancy to understeer was still there in the background.

Anti-roll bars std
the new car is an Sr (1996) and wow, what an improvement as std. the bodyroll reduction was incredible i was throughly impressed with the new car. it handels on a par with the Lx combined with eibach springs but still with 155 tyres IMO
this will also be helped by the wider tyres 175-60-13 but on a whole i say the standard Sr will hold its own vs a Lx with lowering springs when both cars are running std tyres.
i have now added 15inch wheels and 195-45-15 tyres to my Sr and the improvement is strange. obviously the grip levels have increased but the roll has also, this is due to the tyres acting against the bodyroll as the car is not lowered. not very plesent to drive at the moment as it leaves me "the driver" unsure of where the grip limit is.

waiting on the full whiteline setup then i will know real balance, grip and traction...cant wait

in a nut shell my 1.3Lx did not have antiroll bars and my Sr does and it is a very very good improvement as std.

rant over lol *pheww*

theres no difference between super s before 96 and sr after 96. suspension parts the same, anti roll bars the same. its strange your lx 1.3 had no bars, i would have thought it should have done.

strange it may be but it deffinitely didnt and i was also under the impression that no lx's had the antiroll bars. i guess they must have had later on but 93 i was sure that it was a definite no no for all the Lx's. hmm interesting

well easy to sort have a little survey, ask 1993-1996 1.3 owners to tell their trim level and yes or no to anti roll bars. maybe some have just front and no rear also. worth finding out now.

Back