Sub stopped working

skymera

Brutal Honesty
My sub has been playing on and off for the past week, I assumed it was a bad earth.

It turned off the other day and wouldn't come back on, so I replaced all the cables, checked the earths, remote etc and all was good.

Removed the speaker from the box and all cables are intact.

When the sub stopped working, I could swerve the car and it must have jogged something because it worked again for a short while.

The power light showed on the amp but after giving me the proper hump I took a hammer to it and had about 30seconds of pure satisfaction before realising I was down an amp and at least 50quid.

Going to get a new amp to test shortly, hoping it'll work.

Do you think it was just a bad amp? Was only a 500w on a 15" sub, so probably overloaded!

Is your remote wire very thin, I have had dodgy stuff before. I have had remote wires go and cause none or intermittent operation. I found they can rub or be tugged and it goes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah it's thin but is in one piece.

Removing the remote dimmed the "power" LED on the amp so I imagine it works?

Just bought new AV cables and still got no sound from the sub with a different amp.

then you know you havent blown anything. Then get a spare 3.5mm to phono upto the amp, use an ipod to see if gives you some tunes. If that doesent work you know its the amp, if it does then its the stereo?

Def seems to be a wire in the sub speaker itself.

Got myself another double sub and a temporary amp. It's 120W and barely powers 1 sub let alone both xD

Got a 2000W amp ordered, 2 channel so 1000W per sub :D

Got myself another double sub and a temporary amp. It's 120W and barely powers 1 sub let alone both xD

So you tried the put another speaker on it then :p

I could never get my sub working, checked the cables worked through the amp but the car was giving no power... So I bought a new wiring kit this time it wasn't made up out of a mates left over sub cables and we still have no power :(

I could never get my sub working, checked the cables worked through the amp but the car was giving no power... So I bought a new wiring kit this time it wasn't made up out of a mates left over sub cables and we still have no power :(
If your amp has no power it has to be a connection issue or a ground issue.

Have you wired the live in correct?
Have you wired the remote correctly to the back of the head unit?
Is it all earthed correctly?

What amp have you bought, a genuine 2000w rms amp wouldn't run without upgrades.

Mike

Measure the resistance between the terminals on the sub, should be however many ohms your sub is rated at ie 2 or 4 ohms. If your amp's been struggling, it may have been clipping which would burnout the voice oil eventually.

skymera said:
If your amp has no power it has to be a connection issue or a ground issue.

Have you wired the live in correct?
Have you wired the remote correctly to the back of the head unit?
Is it all earthed correctly?

Me and my mate both "believe" we missed something but it doesn't matter now I went for more weight reduction and just upgraded with some parcel shelf speakers :p

Back