Sub mounting

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Can I reverse mount my subs?

I'm designing a boot install but would love my subs mounted with coils facing outwards but can I do it to mine?

Maystar QXS 12Vi

Im sure thats not a problem. I didnt think it was a problem either way round on any sub - as long as its still attached to a sub box of the right size.

My headunit outputs a different sound depending what way round the sub is facing. You just simply say its normal or reversed

No problem at all, as long as its sealed properly to the box :)

Just make sure you switched the phase around on the subs (i.e. instead of + to + terminal, put + to - terminal). :)

Just means its working the 'right way round' for when it is inverted, although it really doesnt matter. You can try both ways, as one may sound better than the other (i/e/ the bass note reachs the front of the car at the same time that the fronts play the beat, due to a slight delay in the bass audio wave arriving!!!)

if that was happening though you'd just adjust the timing ;)

Don't they need to be capable of running IB? Or have the boot area at the correct volume?

Sorry, I made that a bit confusing.

No they dont have to be IB, as they are still mounted to an airtight box = same effect either way.

Just swap the wires round when you invert it, then it should sound just like before.

However, if you find when you sit in the front of the car that the bass is slightly delayed compared to the front speakers, try switching the speaker wires round, as quite often it can help the situation and bring the timing back in line :)

just make sure the subs are air free or summot. Or else if u crank up with boot open you Can blow them i believe.

I understand you now, retepetsir. I know what your saying, for speakers to work there has to be an airtight gap between the front and rear of the cone (correct me if I'm wrong). So yeah, having the front facing into the enclosure should be fine.

richmicratwista said:
do u invert the wires to make the sub pull instead of push air???
Correct, it just means they play the opposite way round (i.e. correct way for inverted subs). "I know what your saying, for speakers to work there has to be an airtight gap between the front and rear of the cone (correct me if I'm wrong)." Pretty much yeah. Most subwoofers are designed to run in an enclosure of some sort, as the air pressure generated helps to 'support' the cone and improve performance/power handling, etc.

Back