Mounting sub in spare wheel well

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Are there any problems with mounting a sub in the spare wheel well? Will be creating a false floor n stuff, but will it need to be sealed in there or wot?

Basically same sort of place as kevs

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
yes seal it. after just stripping dans, tbh, i was disgusted :p
soundproof the lot. put a wooden frame around the edge of the wheels well and seal that then soundproof the lot poss if you can fibreglass around the internal of the well aswell. :)

B

Ben

idoest it depend what kind of sub it is or summit? I'm probably talking rubbish again but dont you sometimes get ported enclosures depending on the setup?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I believe you only port a box or enclosure if you want the sub to generate more bass.. having it sealed will concerntrate on slightly higher frequencies.

I think!?

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Most subwoofers are designed to be sealed.

There are only a few which are meant to run 'infinite baffle' or 'free air'.

Cover the wheel well in masking tape, etc, then fibreglass a few layers of matting on top to great a strong 'bucket'. Cut out a framework for the top layer (and a hole for the sub) and fibreglass this to the FG bucket. When done properly, you'll end up with one sealed enclosure.

Porting usually creates a type of bass that drops lower, more subsonic. They are usually less punchy, but will generate greater output. However ported design is more complicated as you need to take into account port tuning, port length, port width, enclosure size, etc, etc.

You dont just want to bung a sub in the wheel well without a seal, they are not designed for that type of use.

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
Would like to see some examples and outcomes on this as it's something I'd like to do.

But what do most people do without a spare, I got a can of tyre weld but it ruins the tyres and mine on the 15's are sports tyres!

OP
OP
SR_Micra_Boy

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
As u say mate, people just use tyre weld. *If one of mine goes on the almera I just get out an elastic band from the glovebox and wrap that around the alloy a couple of times, works a treat

*sarcy comment as i have very low profile tyres on my 18's at £100 a corner lol

cheers Retepetsir, i knew u as usual would come up trumps, and thanks to everyone else for their input aswell.

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Yeah, definetely get it fibreglassed or soundproofed. No wonder mine sounded so bad. :p Also I reckon sealed would be better too. :)