strange noise

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
whilst driving theres a noise that appears to be coming from the nearside front of car hard to explain as its not a knocking sound but more of a rumble as if a bearing was on its way out. At first i thought it was gearbox trouble and ive changed that noise was still there i also used new 3 part clutch so can rule that out. so next i changed the hub for one i knew was 100% ok again the noise is there now im at a loss, it dosent get louder its just a constant drone even when coasting so any ideas to solve this mystery(Y) also changed drive shafts fully refurbed

andy

Ex. Club Member
simaler here ken mines been like it for a year nearly but is ok when driven in a straight line. but turning the wheel slightly to the left the noise starts. ok on the right. i aint found the problem either mate so cant help. i have a feeling its something to do with the strut. could be wrong

OP
OP
kennierobo

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
mines present whilst in a straight line or corner think i will rip it all out and use parts from spare micra and see what happens

OP
OP
kennierobo

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
wishbone i havent tried will take a look at it at weekend not much can go wrong there though maybe a bush or cracked ? will check it out

OP
OP
kennierobo

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
not wheel bearing changed hub and noise still there hub i put on had new bearings fitted not brakes as these have just been done and overhauled not worn could be a warped disc though

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
i think i have this problem too, a grinding noise like a dodgy wheel bearing.

i changed all the suspention components:

coilovers with custom top mounts,
brand new wishbones with competition bushes
whiteline anti roll bar with poly bushes
new track rod ends

and it is still there. the CVs look ok, i think the hub bearings are ok because there is no play, might be the brakes but they work fine and it doesn't sound like anything to do with the brakes.

but there is one thing i want to try, it looks like the grease has leaked out of the track rod dust cover, i am wondering if the ball joint for the track rod is dry?

could be the same problem

Bash1989

Ex. Club Member
had a kinda similar problem on my primera, kept making a tinging noise when going straight then started to do it whilst turning, was quite embarassing really. in the end all it was ,was the metal plates on the back of the brakepads had come away. after that she was silent. might be a good idea to check

OP
OP
kennierobo

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
done trackrod ends and will be changing discs ect at weekend but what i am going to do is jack up car put it on axle stands then run it up into top gear with bonnet up this way im sure to find the culprit

OP
OP
kennierobo

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
been out in car tonight and the noise is like a wobble board lol the type that rolf harris used funny i know but thats the closest sound i can liken it to

mikey

Ex. Club Member
whilst driving theres a noise that appears to be coming from the nearside front of car hard to explain............it dosent get louder its just a constant drone even when coasting so any ideas to solve this mystery(Y)

I have a similar noise...more of a whine, almost subliminal...from the nearside front area...every morning...completely disappears when i stop....to drop my girlfriend off!?:p

Joking aside, one of the anti rattle clips on the brake pads was folded over and grinding on the outer edge of the disc, that was the source of the similar noise on my car (Y)