Sticky caliper

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Is there any way of testing for this, I get a rubbing noise, like the pads are low (they aren't) after a heavy brake, it goes away after a little bit of driving however.
Any ideas?

The cause of this a lot of the time is that you get gunge on the bolts that the caliper slides along, mainly due to the rubber seals breaking down and the grease combining with brake dust and mud.

You can normally see it happening with the wheel off and one side of the caliper will move, and the other will stay still. Only problem is, it's also one of those problems that can show up intermittently, making tracking it down hard.

If it is that, often a good clean and regrease will solve the problem.

Coolio, will have alook at that sometimes next week, I knwo what you mean about those bolts, I have seen one absolutely rusted, had to sand and WD40 it down to get it back in

Andrew said:
The cause of this a lot of the time is that you get gunge on the bolts that the caliper slides along, mainly due to the rubber seals breaking down and the grease combining with brake dust and mud.

You can normally see it happening with the wheel off and one side of the caliper will move, and the other will stay still. Only problem is, it's also one of those problems that can show up intermittently, making tracking it down hard.

If it is that, often a good clean and regrease will solve the problem.

Andrew you have a remarkable knowledge of these cars... "respect" n all that (Y)

Back