weird grinding noise- sticky caliper?

Hey,
I picked up a W reg (2000) 1.0 Micra as a small runabout and project today and after a 35mile drive it started making a grinding noise from the front left and gets louder on breaking.

I'm wondering if its a sticking caliper or pads/disc issue? The pads and discs are manky so could be just a case of new pads and discs I'm guessing

Ideas?

Right so after about 20mins of f**kery I snapped my ratchet piece (1/2 to 1/4) and can no longer get the sodding nuts off. It looks like the caliper is sticking and pushing the pad to the disc..

It also looks as if the pads haven't been changed in a very very long time (if ever, being as the car has averaged 3000mi a year) and the nuts are seized to the caliper... Grrrr

Any idea how I could get it off?

If you've not got another ratchet then you can always use a ring spanner and hammer to crack the bolts.
I finally got this problem sorted after admitting defeat, took it to a mechanic and even the guy had issues with it, he rounded the bolt off because the stupid thing was so stuck (the car was from near the sea, and I reckon the salt had got to it.. Its going back to Aberystwyth near the sea lol) and had to hammer a smaller socket over and use the air gun to get it off. No wonder I couldn't do it!

Back