Sticky front caliper

I've not had time to look at this yet, but the front driver's disk is noticably hotter than the passenger after hearing a brake squeal when driving.

Any usual suspect for the micra? slides or is it normally the piston?

I have the exact same issue on my K11, I changed pads, discs and caliper carrier, the piston was harder to push back in than the other side, wasn't aware of the issue prior to the overhaul though. I've got new hoses to go on and I've renovated two spare calipers.

Someone with more experience suggested WD40 on the piston and working it in and out a few times would be enough.

If I get time at the weekend, I'll take it off and have a look. clean it up, and inspect the piston boot.

I've never had much luck unsticking pistons, and usually find a reconditioned caliper is the answer.

Sticking/seized slider pin , or the piston is sticking normally from corrosion on the piston, dust cover or dirt ect,
Also the pads can jam from the carrier rusting and squeezing the pads inplace , can be cleaned up nicely ,

But check pads , discs ect,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Mine I had to replace the shims one was missing at both sides.
The pistons retracted fine and I experience zero problem with the breaks before and after.
The only trouble I experienced was fitting the shims. Required some wire brushing so they would seat properly with the pads in place.
Just something to check I don't think it would be missing but you could get uneven wear if one is missing.

My conclusion was this was the cause of the advisory on last MOT.
That being the disc's being scored or pitted but not corroded.

The sliders needed some cleaning up they did still work just not as freely as one would desire.
Pistons were okay condition not perfect but certainly operational still.

One thing I'm most impressed with is that they are really responsive. With smooth breaking. That I could not say that same for on a corsa E SRI (Jerky) imo that I was learning in. Before I swapped my set over with Brembo pads and discs.
Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Last edited:
Took it apart today, piston was ok, slide pins ok. Pads sticking carrier was the problem. The lugs top and bottom had rusted a bit an too tight to move freely.

Even taking the rust off left them was a bit tight, so some light touches with the grinder until they were sitting nice.
A quick spray paint on the lugs, and wire brush to the pads (since they'd been running hot) and all seems good again

I had the same problem, pistons had corroded and pressing them in to replace discs and pads scored the internal seal replaced the lot, calipers ,pipes and carriers has cured the problem for years to come! your life depends on good brakes it not worth scint flinting on brakes.

Back