Stereo

Hi

my daughter has a V reg K11 and wants me to put in a new stereo, speakers and possibly a sub.

Has any one any suggestions on what would work best? I dont want anything too expensive, ie something thats worth more than the car:)

thanks

Andrew

Halfords is the cheapest place for a CD player !
You need to get one with a subwoofer output ie rear phono plugs , and you will need a amplifier and a sub of course
Best thing as for speakers is to get a rear parcel shelf with standard speakers in it sr/super sport and it will just click into a plug that there is in the boot of the car on the drivers side and they don't sound bad at all .
It also depends on how much you want from it sound wise .
If you only want a little rumble then a 8" or 10" sub is more than good enough .
200 watt amp , 300watt sub is good enough .

If you have some standard tweeters installed on the pillars they sound great too for stock .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    956.5 KB · Views: 236
Subs are nice and easy you can get fli or edge sort of thing, box sub amp all built up with wiring kit, my fli was £140 I previosly got an edge that was 12" 900w for £110 new, rears 6x9's can be found at a variety of price ranges same with fronts, 6" round speakers cant remember max depth think its around 50mm? Parcel shelf can be cut easy enough if there no speaker there and in some cases the loom may be there on mine I just added it to the stereo loom :p

Please choose a good brand of amplifier and sub as I've tried lots of different brands and you basically get what you pay for .
Fli/edge/fusion are not the best but are options if your on a budget so to speak

Halfords is the cheapest place for a CD player !
You need to get one with a subwoofer output ie rear phono plugs , and you will need a amplifier and a sub of course
Best thing as for speakers is to get a rear parcel shelf with standard speakers in it sr/super sport and it will just click into a plug that there is in the boot of the car on the drivers side and they don't sound bad at all .
It also depends on how much you want from it sound wise .
If you only want a little rumble then a 8" or 10" sub is more than good enough .
200 watt amp , 300watt sub is good enough .

Thanks for that. Im erring away from a sub as I think it would be better just to have better quality sounds so a stereo plus good speakers would probably be ok.

You mentioned a plug in the boot, is that standard? Ill have a quick look today to see if I can find it.

Cheers

Andrew
These are direct fit up front, I had them. Enough bass and clarity.
If you have ones too bassy up front, the door vibrates and sounds awful :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-XS-F1727SE-Coaxial-Speaker-System/dp/B004I1KE08

Couple that with a stock speakershelf and a small sub and bob's your uncle!

If, however, you want to shake the car and wake the neighbours, a 15" Kicker sub on a 1000W+ amp would do it.

Thanks for that, you can tell dads buying the stereo a 15'' sub might be on the wanted list but Ill get something that plays radio 4 to a good level of sound quality:)

Subs are nice and easy you can get fli or edge sort of thing, box sub amp all built up with wiring kit, my fli was £140 I previosly got an edge that was 12" 900w for £110 new, rears 6x9's can be found at a variety of price ranges same with fronts, 6" round speakers cant remember max depth think its around 50mm? Parcel shelf can be cut easy enough if there no speaker there and in some cases the loom may be there on mine I just added it to the stereo loom :p

thanks so the fronts are 6inch? I think your right on the depth I read somewhere they were around 50 mill. I reckon Ill save on the sub and get better rears. We didnt have subs in teh old days we just had stonking great rears on the parcel shelf. A friend of mine actually put he dads stereo speakers in the boot, they were great. How times have changed!

There should be one in the boot on the right hand side under where the rear shelf sits .
Speakers will never sound like a sub .
Up rated front speakers
Standard rear speakers and a 8" sub
Done!

Ive gone for a JVC head unit - KD-R741BT (seemed to have good reviews) and a pair of Pioneer TS-G1723i 17cm 3-Way speakers for the doors.

No idea if they are any good. I did go to Halfords for a play but their set up didnt work. Shame but Ive had to buy blind.

Fingers crossed on the pinoneer speakers its a bit of a gamble but I didn want to spend lots of cash on it. She'll prob change the car in a couple of years.

Just need to thin about a mini woof or rears...

thanks

Andrew

Ive gone for a JVC head unit - KD-R741BT (seemed to have good reviews) and a pair of Pioneer TS-G1723i 17cm 3-Way speakers for the doors.

No idea if they are any good. I did go to Halfords for a play but their set up didnt work. Shame but Ive had to buy blind.

Fingers crossed on the pinoneer speakers its a bit of a gamble but I didn want to spend lots of cash on it. She'll prob change the car in a couple of years.

Just need to thin about a mini woof or rears...

thanks

Andrew
I had the jvc in my micra, fantastic unit, still have it in my new car and still amazes me. Only problem I ever had was the rear usb stopped working, went back under warranty and had no problems since.

Back