earthing a stereo

Hi all, I've just tried to fit an aftermarket stereo to my facelift k11, it works fine, and am very happy with it.
I fitted it using a harness adapter, and a bayonet adapter for the aerial.
However the manual for the stereo suggested i fit a bendy metal strip (that came with it) for added stability, and added earthing, from the protruding screw on the back of the stereo, to a piece of metal from the chasis.
However I couldn't find anything suitable at all to screw this on to, and thus just left it in the box.
I thought that the bayonet adapter on the aerial cable provided earthing (or possibly the harness adapter), however I'm a little worried that I might turn the radio on and it might short out.
Is it something to worry about...and if I took it to Halfords to fit, would they look at me stupidly, and tell me i've already fitted it?

Cheers for any replies!

Hi there, find the earth wire on the back of the stereo, earth it to the cig lighter black wire, (remove the tray in front of the gearstick) and splice into it, thats what ive done :)

hmm ok, but surely that would then mean destroying the hraness adapter i've got on it, and i'm pretty sure that still woul;dn't be anywhere near long enough to reach the cig lighter cable...

it would mean cutting the the wire on the adapter yes, i used a wire from a speaker, connect it by soldering, or other connecters etc. works fine for me because my stereo kept switching on and off. :cool:

Back