Power steering - yay or nay

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well folks. My powersteering rack has decided to start leaking out the end seals.

I've been quoted $370 to rebuild it. This gives me peace of mind with new seals - the rest of the rack is OK. No tight spots, no knocks etc. Super S power steering rack is no different to any other micra power steering rack either.

I am considering ditching it to go with a manual rack as I'm beginning to get sick of how light the steering is. Yes I am starting to find my steering is too light.

Never thought I'd say that heh.

Some positives I can think of with getting rid of it:
-More power
-Lower servicing cost
-More road feel?
-Less weight

Can't think of much else.

What would you do?

cisco

» CMF Member
Import a 2000 HK11 micra's EPS column and slam that in there!

Fully speed-dependant power assistance without the mess of hydraulic.

Nah but seriously.. Dunno. I loved the power steer for ease of parking and flicking the car around roundabouts in second gear etc. But yeah agree, the non-power had a better feel at higher speeds and when driving the car harder I thought..

Tough one :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Might have to research that in more depth cisco.

Did you get any conclusive information about it? I wouldnt mind knowing if you did.

Leak is curently being controlled by stop leak additives so I've bought myself a bit longer until I have to decide what to do!

CMF_jdc5r

» CMF Member
I am currently having the same delimma. Parking is a pain but damn highspeed driving feels alot better with no power steering. I am not sure if i will put a power steering rack in my car :(

Maybe try the nismo steering mounts? However i think they are discontinued, i spotted a pair on yahoo auction before though

cisco

» CMF Member
Nah sorry mate, I know nothing about them. Apart from seeing a few for sale all bundled up on yahoo auctions. So tempting..

I'll ask a mate in May. I'm going back to Japan just for 2 weeks. He used to have the hotted up micra and is close friends with the B-Crews owner.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Wider tyres cause their own problems unfortunately. Scrubbing, fuel economy suffers, more prone to aquaplane in wet conditions, more expensive rubber.. The need to buy expensive but oh so good looking japanese wide guards... :p

Considered more castor but I suspect you'd need custom made wishbones to get enough castor out of it to make the steering heavier.

The EPS setup sounds like a cool idea but I'd be worried about it not fitting properly.

I think I'll start searching for a manual rack and idler pulley.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Super S has slightly faster ratios for both manual & power steer. Look in the data section.

I say nay to power steer. The steering is really light & I look like a gorilla driving my K11 so am not expecting manual steering to be too taxing on my arms. So I'll be removing the PS when I get time & taking the 2% saving in fuel.

There's a good reason I have a 2 door, the doors are bigger.

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Go the manual rack and feel the road! 185 XM1 Michelins steer really well without power and parking is no probs even for a 52kg girl driver.
Next you'll want power windows with power steering! (Although central locking is cool and my ignition key isn't wearing out so quickly now!)
2 longer doors is cool too! =)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
nz_aj WROTE:

"Super S has slightly faster ratios for both manual & power steer. Look in the data section.<BR><BR>I say nay to power steer. The steering is really light & I look like a gorilla driving my K11 so am not expecting manual steering to be too taxing on my arms. So I'll be removing the PS when I get time & taking the 2% saving in fuel.<BR><BR>There's a good reason I have a 2 door, the doors are bigger.

Super S only has quicker rack ratios for manual rack models. All K11 hydraulic powersteering rack ratios are the same. No idea for the EPS models.

CMF_95LX

» CMF Member
Had a few quotes from moss street around the $400 then pedders (just for a joke) came back with $650!! thought that was funny! Anyone got more locations for CHEAP P/S repairers? pref brisbane south.

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
95LX WROTE:

"Had a few quotes from moss street around the $400 the pdders (just for a joke) came back with $650!! thought that was funny! Anyone got more locations for CHEAP P/S repairers? pref brisbane south.

You could always try delux in Sydney.

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
I found the extra speed/reduced turning circle of power steering worth the conversion cost and extra weight in my Super S.

The increased camber/castor with a Whiteline kit would make the steering a bit heavier which probably makes the power steering feel more planted than with a stock setup.

PS - don't know where that photo below came from??

Back