Starter motor

paul_k10_Lx

Deactivated Account
is it a regular thing for starters on the k10 to make a really loud screetch at first crank sometimes mine has don eit twice now any ideas what it is ???

Mine does it too, .........but ONY when there are people around to hear it!

No doubt they all think...'Take it out of gear fool!' VERRY EMBARRASSING.

I've also witnessed another K10 user (who I didn’t know) get exactly the same thing happen to them. I was parked up next to her...so I got out and told her that 'mine does that as well'.

When this happens, the starter gear doesn’t fully engage with the flywheel gear (is this the right term). Instead the starter gear bounces off of the flywheel gear very fast and failing to turn the crank. The result is the wail of the K10Banshee

I have read that it could be due to worn or broken teeth on either the starters' gear or the flywheels' gear...but with so many K10s showing this I'm not so sure that its just wear and tear...more like a weakness in the design.

Having said that, I would also like to know what the specific cause is, also corrective and preventative action if anyone knows for sure…

I can say that its NOT a problem with the electrics on the low current side of the starter relay. By coincidence, I changed the entire circuit and wiring on mine to get around a separate problem, but the intermittent grating starter still remains.

I think this thread applies to a previous discussion:
http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2061&highlight=starter

which thread do we continue this discussion in guys?

Keep this one going as the other thread didnt get any replies to this problem :)

Mine has done this a couple of times, but also usually when people are around. It makes a very embarrassing loud screeching noise. I thought it happens when i dont turn the key in the ignition fully.

I also suspected the ignition key theory a few years ago but since my "alternative method of starting the car" modification; I can say that this is not the reason. Mine still does it:-(

The starter on the K10 is pre-engaged. That means that the solenoid pushes the starter pinion forwards onto the flywheel before the current is supplied to the starter motor. If the starter is turning at all, it means that the pinion has moved far enough forwards (unless of course, the fork pushing it forwards has broken).

So there can be two sources of noise:
* The pinion and flywheel ring gear and worn and not engaging properly.
* The one way clutch on the pinion is not working properly.

Normally the first would cause it not to start at all. I've heard theories of the flywheel wearing at one point only, where the engine settles, and where the damage was first caused, but I can't see why it would start second time.

I think it's much more likely to be a bit of wear in the one way clutch. It's probably a ball and ramp type one, and you sometimes see the same effect on bikes (which use them for freewheels).

That's my theory on it anyway.

I used to have the 'wailing K10 banshee' (tm, SammoHung), until I replaced the flywheel.
Up until that point the problem had been getting worse and worse. Sometimes I could sit there trying it over and over again without the starter ever catching, just grinding. The intermediate solution would be to put the car in gear, take the handbrake off and just nudge the car forward or back a little (with a foot out of the door, even easier if you are parked on a hill) to turn the engine through a few degrees. Then put it back in neutral and try to start again. This would usually be enough to move the flywheel into a suitable position for the starter to engage.
Taking the starter off and lubricating the pinion and shaft didnt seem to make any difference, but would definetely be worth trying, considering the simplicity.
I took the oportunity to replace the flywheel when I replaced the clutch. The teeth on the old flywheel were worn blunt and rounded all the way round but more so in two places directly oposite each other. I got the new flywheel from a scrap car with lower mileage that my own. Starting has been perfect ever since.

It does seem to be a particular problem with Micras but to be honest my car had done 105000 miles and Micra's are probably generally used as town cars so see more starting than most.

Craig

crogthomas said:
Up until that point the problem had been getting worse and worse. Sometimes I could sit there trying it over and over again without the starter ever catching, just grinding.

I would say this isn't the problem being seen in the original question, as the starter will grind initially, but doesn't the next time. The worn flywheel means that it generally won't engage at all.

mine shows both symptoms but more so the one described by CROG:

I normally shuffle the gears and rock the car to get it to catch....but in the early days it would catch by itsself the second or third time without shuffling....

My K10 Super does it to!!!
I have just replaced the starter motor with a recon one and it still does it but not as much, I want to replace the flywheel to stop any more damage.
Were is the best place to get a flywheel for a K10?

Back