SR20DE is in. UK micra

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
Hi there i came on here a while ago discussing my car it has been off the road for a few months and is currentlly having the conversion finished off. i have done all the work myself, incuding a complete nut and bolt re-build of the SR20engine, when it is in it will be at stage 1 with 150-160BHP then after a few months of testing and beding in and faulting any smal niggles a turbo will be added anda few more choice bits fitted i want about 250WHP by this time next year.

Please feel free to brows my photo albums and tell me what you think. also there are pictures of K10 turbo i have helped build.

Many thanks
Ian

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Very nice,

But a bit of friendly advice. I wouldn't turbo the n/a SR20DE as you could drop a SR20DET straight in using the mounts you've already modified.

Also the SR20DE doesn't have oil squirters in the bore and conrods to lubricate and help seal the rings and piston. Not only that but the compression in an SR20DE is a full point higher (as I can recall) so you have to run less boost (although this way you will have awesome spool and off boost response).

It just seems to me that you should drop in the SR20DET for the same, if not lower price than turbo-ing the SR20DE.

All in all though, nice car and good work!! What mods were done to slide the SR20DE in?

Sean

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
GOod point - but SR20DET's are getting harder and harder to source in good condition.

The motors in good condition are usually now from much newer models of cars (ie: Wingroad & Avenir)

Personally, i think an SR20DET micra is going way over the top and you're going to have way too much top end power.

I think you should work the nuts out of the DE... Mabye even install an SR20VE... Having a nice big fat even torque curve across the whole rev range is well, in a light car like the micra - dare I say it would be lethal to even turbo micras.

That's just me though. Good luck to whatever you decide to do with it! I reckon I'd be more than happy with the current performance anyway! (considering the sr20de is no slouch when stock either - it hauls my pulsar up to speed quite efficiently!)

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
BTW we need some editing functions here haha

what i meant by newer cars is they also cost more.

an avenir sr20det for example here in australia costs on average $2000 more than a U12 or U13 bluebird jobbie.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Raceworx,

Wow, you have done an amazing conversion... Your car should 'kick arse' when it's back on the road.

I am sure we are all interested to know what was involved with getting that motor in there. What parts have you used and how much custom fabrication was required ?.

I imagine you must have had to reposition all the engine mounts ?. Is that the GC13DE micra gearbox or a 2Litre sunny/pulsar one ?.

I guess you have probably had to overcome quite a few problems with clearance for the water pump pulley, radiator at the front etc... ?

cisco

» CMF Member
That's awesome dude.

You've done exceptionally well shoehorning that one in there in that extremely narrow garage setup :) I would have wigged out too many times from not having enough room!

What have you done about your front suspension?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
This really catches my eye. Have you had to modify the chassis rails to get this to fit? I'd assume that you're using the gearbox that came with the SR20 (RS5F32A)?
Thought you would have got rid of the close coupled cat?

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
thanks everyone.

So far it is the standard SR20 Roller/Rocker head from an almera GTi 150BHP with head work that i did when it was striped. so sould see some horses from that. to get it in, required no modifications to the chasis rails. it is the sr20 Gearbox that is attached. i am having to make 3 of the 4 mounts from scratch. as for clearence there arnt any isues really it dropeed in from the top with some scrapping all bolted together with the gearbox so space isnt a problem really.

The reassons for turboing the SR20 are as follows the kit is reliable and will easily make the power i want.without streatching the engine, the piston oil squirters are only in the RNN14 SR20 ie the GTi-R this engine is slightly different to the regular SR20DE and SR20DETthe internals on mine can easilly support 400WHP which is way more than i want. i willrun the car with the standard sr20 N/A in there to get any niggles annd handeling issues sorted before i go head first into boost, my philosophy is to get the car running as though nissan built it from the factory like that. then ill have a solid base to tune from.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Right, I'm having another measure. Last time I looked at this it appeared that with the SR20 up against the RHS chassis rail, the RS5F32V (Almera spec) gearbox would stick out well beyond the outside of the LHS chassis rail & hit the wheel when on right lock. I was wondering wether you might have used RS5F50V (U13 Bluebird) which I think might be a little shorter, all be it fatter.

All SR20DET's have oil squirters. The RNN14 SR20DET is almost entirely different to other SR20DET's. For 400WHP you'll need forged pistons, large injectors & fuel pump, cams, porting, computer & dyno time.

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
The eingine is not up against the RHSR it has plenty of room atleast 20mm from the end of the pullys to the rail, the gearbox merginally under hangs the left one but only by a few mm it is an almera Gearbox. 400WHP is achievable on standard internals http://www.sr20forum.com/ and read. the yanks have quite a few running 400whp on standard internals. the crank is good for 600 from the factory. the Rnn14 is the only SR20 lump to have oil squirters. as if you look into any parts for the SR20 all will fit every SR20 apart from the RNN14 which has diffrent pistons with cutouts to clear the squirters anyway this is all irelevant as i dont want 400WHP i want 250WHP which will be easilly acheivablke from the engine i have.

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
drive shafts are going to have to be custome made using the almera Gbox splines mated to micra 1.3 hub splines. with a custome length shaft. the hubs are standard 1.3 affairs with GTi-R discs and calipers.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
if you havent been there already www.sr20forum.com has a heap of good information on the roller rocker head, what it can do etc.

Personally i would have used the earlier non-roller rocker head, but the roller rocker seems to have better torque characteristics than the non roller rocker if the dyno charts on the american forums are anything to go by.

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
Yes SR20 fourm is a valuable resource. the propblem with the roller rocker head is the fact there re a lack of Cams for it. and that without a rocker stoper and lash kill kit the rockers can jump off at high revs.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Just to clarify, the gearbox is from an SR20 powered Almera?

I will post pictures I took of an U13 SR20DET showing the oil squirters & piston cutouts, if you like.

I would be very worried about standard pistons & 400whp.

I think the usual quote is 500hp for the GTiR SR20DET crank (which is different to other SR versions).

There's a lot of different versions.
http://www.geocities.com/nissanengine/SRstats[/URL]

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
The rockers popping off under high rpm loads is also quite common on the non-rocker roller SR20DE's...

The only way you can truely abolish the problem is with a NEO VVL (SR**VE) head...

Preferably of course an SR16VE N1 head on the 2.0L bottom end. hehe... (anyone who has done any research into the SR**VE's will know what I 'hehe-ed' about)

CMF_Raceworx

» CMF Member
This is all irelavant really i dont nwant 400BHP or anything like that. i want 200-250 max. lol which is fine on this engine so no need to lok into what fits on what or what i can change at the moment.

Back