SR20 Conversion

How easy is it to do an SR20 conversion, i've seen them in Micras before so they can't be that difficult and what would the rough price be? this is for a K11 btw i'm thinking of buying a Primera GT and taking them both to a garage to do the swap, which brings me onto my next question where would you guys reconmend to do it? also it doesn't have to be an SR20 conversion if GA16 are easier then I would be happy with that too. Ideally i'm after between 160-180bhp which would be plenty to me.

You'd need to turbo either tbh. I did my GA swap in a weekend. SR20 is WAY more work, and much more expensive.

Standard sr20 varies between 130 and 150hp.
GA16 is in Sunny, Almera and 100NX

Read the 'K11 GA16 SWAP INFO POOL' thread.

Ahhh ok hmmm will have a hunt around for those aswel been reading your ga16 thread and see that the GA is only 100bhp but it's easier to do so I dunno what to do now lol

Still more hp stock than you can get from a CG without headwork and mapping or forced induction :)

If you have the space to do it, and are comfortable measuring and making custom shafts and engine mounts, do the SR
If you want quick, easy torque fit the GA
But tbh, you'll have to turbo or supercharge to hit your power quota whatever you do. I'd just turbo the CG. Same power, considerably cheaper.

SR20 N/A engines are well rubbish. Struggle to push 210ish out of them and thats after spending thousands of them. The ringlands go just at a sight of a turbo and the 130-150bhp they make they are a very heavy engine.

Only way I would do it would be an Almera engine with the optional extra lsd and with sr20det internals so you can turbo it.

I would attempt it myself but I don't have the space to do it, when you say considerably cheaper how much cheaper?
Alot cheaper. Almera and sr20 parts are going up. A parts car for an sr20 can be anywhere from £300-£1500. Depending on the condition of the car and miles. I have seen low millage ga16 cars sell for not much at all about £300.

Its more of a case that the ga16 is easier. Only have to change one engine mount and it bolts to the standard cg13 gearbox while using a big old ga16 clutch

Alot cheaper. Almera and sr20 parts are going up. A parts car for an sr20 can be anywhere from £300-£1500. Depending on the condition of the car and miles. I have seen low millage ga16 cars sell for not much at all about £300.

Its more of a case that the ga16 is easier. Only have to change one engine mount and it bolts to the standard cg13 gearbox while using a big old ga16 clutch
that sounds promising although I have a CG10 :(

If you are careful and source parts from scrappies etc, and make your own turbo manifokd and downpipe, even with mapping you could hit your target for around £1500 on the cg. Custom driveshafts alone for the SR is half of that, then you need a doner prim or almera gti for the engine, loom, ecu etc, then you need a turbo manifold etc... you could easily hit 2k before you even have the engine in... let alone mapping.

If you are careful and source parts from scrappies etc, and make your own turbo manifokd and downpipe, even with mapping you could hit your target for around £1500 on the cg. Custom driveshafts alone for the SR is half of that, then you need a doner prim or almera gti for the engine, loom, ecu etc, then you need a turbo manifold etc... you could easily hit 2k before you even have the engine in... let alone mapping.
Theres an sr20 primera in my local scrappy at the moment but its a 130 bhp.

Took the liberty of cutting every last plug on it as alot of them are a pain to source like the MAF plugs.

What ever you do dont get an sr20 with variable valve timing a well. Always seems to go wroung and gives a horrible tapping when cold.

The GA is a torquey engine. I chose it because I want a specific torque characteristic and am not that fussed abiut the top end. I'd totally recommend it for a daily, but not until I've finished my coolant pump control project with @SirChris and can confirm the electric water pump isn't too hardcore for a road car :)

Also, why spend 3k+ on an SR20DE+T micra when you can get SR20DET Pulsars with 220+hp and 4wd for 2/3 that price. I think after a certain power you gotta start being VERY dedicated to micras for the cost of the power to be worth it...

Also, why spend 3k+ on an SR20DE+T micra when you can get SR20DET Pulsars with 200+hp and 4wd for 2/3 that price. I think after a certain power you gotta start being VERY dedicated to micras for the cost of the power to be worth it...
Indeed! Which is why I really want a 200sx :(

Indeed! Which is why I really want a 200sx :(
Trust me anything below 300bhp in a 200sx isn't that great I only have 286 in mine but need more than that due to weight again its cost vs performance and rust is a huge issue on them too. right i'll start looking for GA16s now then

Trust me anything below 300bhp in a 200sx isn't that great I only have 286 in mine but need more than that due to weight again its cost vs performance and rust is a huge issue on them too. right i'll start looking for GA16s now then
I have heard that too. Im just going to finish my turbo k10 project. I do admit Micras are so much fun but they are money pits to make fast

Is the 1.8 from the later almeras just as easy from reading your project thread you say it's pretty much a straight swapn
IN THEORY, if yiu get a pre 2002 one (cable throttle), it should bolt up to the coilpack K11 gearbox. It might fit, you would need to check clearances e.g. belt pulleys, and work out a drivers side engine mount. The QG18 engine isn't the strongest even in NA form, I'd be very cautious of boosting them.

All in, the GA to run properly probably costs about £800 to do (including a £300 donor car). PM me if you want a rough breakdown of the costs, the work involved etc. If you ask me any questions that are answered in the ga16 thread you'll just get a thread link as a reply mind :p

Nah, it's true. For the power its the sensible option.
If he was askig for 120ftlb of torque at 1500rpm however... ;)
1500 rpm ! pffft thats granny driving :) GA16=110 lb/ft @ 4 k rpm according to wiki, mine has that much @ 2.5k

Like I said, for 160hp you'd be cheapest off just turboing the cg. SR20 could be na modded to hit that power, but it'd probably work out the same as a turbo build cost wise.

If you have the space to do it, and are comfortable measuring and making custom shafts and engine mounts, do the SR
If you want quick, easy torque fit the GA
But tbh, you'll have to turbo or supercharge to hit your power quota whatever you do. I'd just turbo the CG. Same power, considerably cheaper.
CG?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back