sr20 build

Hi guys. As i cant drive for a while (medical reasons) I'm going to do an sr20 engine conversion.
next month in gonna start the conversion, but need abit of advice first.i know it would involve more work but would it be easier to get hold of an sr20de ant turbo it rather than an sr20det? And as itll need custom drive shafts, once I've welded the mounts where would i measure from and to for the length of them, and i know it sounds like a stupid question but it is a genuine one lol.
also i understand there isn't space for the water pump and ideally i don't want to notch the chassis leg, and in unsure as to how reliable an electric water pump will be so how have others got round this issue?
in sure there's more ill ask in the future, but if you can think of any issues you ever came across and explain how you got round then That'd be magic.
also daft question but is it just the engine loom i need or full loom and splice existing cables into donor ecu appropriately?
CHEERS!!

Get a donor car so you have everything
Dont get why people dont have room for this water pump. It's either lazyness, bodge it and it'll do or they genuinely cant see a way round it.
Custom engine mounts see you right

Driveshafts are measured once engine is in situ. Leave the hub lowered as it normally is when jacked up and measure from the centre of each bearing cap from hub to gearbox.
Hope that's a start :)

Primera gt :)
Donor cars are getting harder to source anything around 500 is about right these days. But thats for everything :)

So progress is abit slow after spend all my disposable income last month on an engine and rollcage. The dash is out, all fluids drained and the cg10 is pretty much ready to lift out. Just need to disconnect the shafts, clutch cable. This month will be spending on an engine crane and for the mounts to be rewelded. If anyone's got any advice what so ever in any way shape or form itll be much appreciated

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• WP_20130928_001.jpg
    WP_20130928_001.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 593
Also, for those that have done this conversion, u der the ecu was a plug that looks like this but has three pins rather than four, solution, or do i not need to worry about connecting it what ever its for. The one in the picture is from the sr loom

Attachments

• WP_20130928_003.jpg
    WP_20130928_003.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 416
i think you are gonna have a bit of a wiring mission by using a coilpack k11 as the basecar turtle ! you might be better off fitting a QG18 tbh

Already got the engine and facelift k11 so just gonna have to go with what I've got... What can go wrong ?!?! Lol

could have bought my setup lol
basically plug and play.
I don't get the whole chassis leg cutting I never had to cut mine and no pulleys ever caught

No its not running yet. Still got the cg in just needs removing and mounts rewelding. If i need any more loom ill just have to wait till mate gets one in at his scrapyard. Hasn't had ny in for an age. And i definately wont be cutting any chassis legs

Hi guys, update on the micra. engine will be out on Saturday, and mounts will be cut off ready to be rewelded next month.
and then the next big thing for me to do is get a pair of driveshafts made.
is there anyone you can recommend to get this done. I know nothing about driveshafts when it comes to sizes and cv joints and all that malarkey, so any advice from the sr20 lads that have already done this will be greatly appreciated
I did find a company in Coventry that can make them for me at £295 per shaft and cv joints at £60 a pair. does this sound about right or is this pricey for what I need.

would t be better for me to use sr20 shaft and have the outer end of the shaft machined to fit the micra hub??? this may be a daft question but I thought id put it out there lol

Ah i thought that if they were too long they could be machined down to fit.
how do you plan on 'working the almera bearing in, and will the shafts be the correct length??

Im sure 1 is short but even if theyre both long i doubt you could have them machined spot on without landing on the original spline and youd need to add on metal where theres a depth stopper.

Regarding the bearing it should be a case of some machining to the hub or bearing to make it fit. Im miles away before i can be sure, ill be using custom shafts like @glen

would t be better for me to use sr20 shaft and have the outer end of the shaft machined to fit the micra hub??? this may be a daft question but I thought id put it out there lol

exactly that!

just get the outer cvs as micra ones straight fit no ****ing about with machining hubs or bearings. do it properly :)

i did this on both custom shafts brand new cv joints and boots for £500

exactly that!

just get the outer cvs as micra ones straight fit no ####ing about with machining hubs or bearings. do it properly :)

where did you get yours done mate? ive seen cps at the team valley do custom stuff?

exactly that!

just get the outer cvs as micra ones straight fit no ####ing about with machining hubs or bearings. do it properly :)

micra c/v,s wont survive 450hp tho, thats why little bandit had SR hubs machined down to fit into the micra knuckle/bearing

micra c/v,s wont survive 450hp tho, thats why little bandit had SR hubs machined down to fit into the micra knuckle/bearing

obviously what power he wants to run will be an issue.
im going as sr20 na as the title just says sr20 not det .

i get the carbed version which was released from factory. but yet to see a single cam twin turbo supercharged ...

smart arse
Attitude like that isn't what we appreciate on here.
Enuo was merely stating different trims in which the SR20 was available.
If you read the post properly you'd have understood that.

Attitude like that isn't what we appreciate on here.
Enuo was merely stating different trims in which the SR20 was available.
If you read the post properly you'd have understood that.
Well more that the last few characters are as important as, if not more so, than the first 4 with engine designations...
Buy an exhaust manifold that just says sr20, I'd love to see which design you end up with ;)

Well more that the last few characters are as important as, if not more so, than the first 4 with engine designations...
Buy an exhaust manifold that just says sr20, I'd love to see which design you end up with ;)
Aye I noticed this point afterwards :p

How would the outer ends of the shafts be machined ti fit the micra hubs without any issues??

i believe this bit of the SR20 hub is turned down on a lathe, to fit inside the k11 bearings (inside the knuckle)

auto-part-opel-wheel-hub-bearing-oe-326001-3-26-001.jpg

Im sure franks right.... little bandits were like this with almera c/vs.

I would think your probably gonna want to mount the engine in first and measure the length required then. Theres no standard size as peoples engines are in slightly different positions.

Back