squish squish, whirr whirr!!!!

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Hello Guys, haven't posted in a while.
Welcome from the land of Saints, Scholars, and assorted Lunatics (IRE).

Does anybody know of the origin of a nasty squishy noise made when the nearside left shock compresses/decompresses. Makes a sound like soaked soft rubber or something.

I'm also pondering the origins of a whirring noise which is either coming from the release bearing or the crankshaft pulley. I'ts mainly load sensitive to both Electrical loading and letting clutch in and out which is why I'm confused. E.g if you turn on the main lights the whirring gets more noticeable, but tends to come and go as you depress and let out clutch pedal. The two seem linked in some way. B.T.W. my release bearing is slightly worn and has been for some time with no other problems until this noise.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Tommy Scanlon 1996 Micra.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I get a slight mechanical whurr everynow and again.

I think its just the throwout bearing, I'm not worried about it.

My left hand side front shock also makes a funny noise on movement. The Shock itself is less than 3 years old so I doubt it is the shock itself. I believe the problem is simply the rubber bushings getting old and dry.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Although that is just me, if you're using the original shocks you may find that absorber is starting to come to the end of its useable lifespan. That particular shock absorber does most of the work with Right Hand Drive cars due to the natural shaping of the road and the simple fact that the outer edge of the road is usually bumpier than the inside.

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Thanks Yom. I'll keep you posted. Still can't ascertain whether it is noise in the Alternator Bearings, or the throwout bearing. You wouldn't believe how similiar the noises are. Think I'll get some kind of stethoscope and hammer down where it's coming from. Hope I can sort it out cheaply as I don't really want to rebuild a clutch if I can help it.

Yeah, that's definitely a dry rubber bushing as it was pi--ing here today and no noise there. Only on dry days, or once a month here in Ireland (North West, Sligo).

Talk soon.

Tom.

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Oh, also, anybody got a cure for the ubiquitous squeaky, chattering, squealing, all dancing right hand wiper blade. Blades are brand new, makes no difference. Just had new glass installed so that's not the problem. Could it be angle of wiper arm or something?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
My solution were Pulsar/Lucino/Almera wipers. They have more of the little 'boom arms' which hold onto the wiper refil and help keep more even surface contact.

CMF_Thomas_Scanlon

» CMF Member
Hi again. Anybody got a diagram as to how to remove the Heater Fan Motor. I had some papers and stuff in glovebox compartment, which was full up and they tipped out the back over the fan. Very noisy now, piece of paper obviously stuck in blades. Tom

Back