spark plugs..

Which Plug would you choose for best performance?

• Champion Eon 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Right little vote, what would you choose out of the 2 plugs. however if you recommend any other plugs please comment :) this is for my car so a 1.4 sport 02 plate :)

Thanks

I have plain ol NGK. I wouldn't bother with iridium unless you're running bigger power as the price isn't worth it imo

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

could always go for surface discharge sparks. its probably not worth it as they're about £50 each and only last 6 months though! they do work fantastically well though. tried some on a fireblade last year and they gave 3bhp all the way up to 13500rpm.

nice, sounds pretty good, would rather they lasted abit longer than that aha, as i was saying, i have NGK Iridium's at the moment and not overally happy with them, was thinking i will change to either champion eon 2 or bosch super 4's

i really rate the super 4s. i gapped mine to 2.2mm and they still spark strong. believe EBBDude was running similar gap, and rated them to around 3mm before things started going odd. considering more modifications to mine anyway. like cutting 2 of the spark tips off to make easier access for the spark to fuel..... not brave enough yet though!

I use and have always used NKG copper plugs. Stocks are BKR5E-11, in engines above 100bhp I tend to use a colder BKR7E-11 available online of through Matt as he usually keeps a good stash of them. FYI, they were just about right in a 125bhp engine.

Be very skeptical of any plugs or leads with claims of horsepower gains, these are just nice stories relating to people who had a sub par setup to begin with.

Iridium, platinum or Gold Paladium just offer potentially increased longevity of the plugs under ideal conditions and do not offer any performance increases as such. It's very easy to shove in a set of worn old plugs, do a power run and then put in a nice fresh set and see a minor change of which could easily be argued to be within the accuracy of the dyno given the conditions at the time.

If you over gap a plug and the electrodes wear then there will be more risk of a misfire as the gaps open up during their lifetime......the only benefit in that sense of a Super 4 is the electrodes perhaps wear slower individually due to the increased number of ignition paths compared to a conventional single tip plug.

Personally I don't recommend over gapping and just because EBB did it, it doesn't make it the best choice to make. Yes, one can do it but since it only increases the potential for something to fail in service, one could argue it perhaps has more in the way of a potential downside than an upside. You car will run very well with the plug gaps set to the manufacturer's gap settings and last a good length of time :)

Aye, there.s only a set amount of energy you can extract from the fuel ( when its burnt its burnt) you "may" be able to make it ignite quicker with a bigger spark, but you can easily counter that by altering the ignition timing ( same difference)

I run NGK BCPR7ES plugs in my modded micra but always found bosch super 4s were nice and smooth on standard micra lumps (imo). I wouldn't bother with champion they never seem as well made or last as long as the others.

Back