Sound Insulation

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Right I started this on wednesday as I want the car to be a nice environment to be in ,get rid of the tin can sound from the panels,reduce road noise and rattles!

First off I'd strip the door down, and get the door card off(destroying it in the process lol)

Then as adviced by Speedle I used Aluminium Flashing tape to line the outer panel,this comes in rolls for €9,so I bought one to start off with and it did the front doors. . . .its self adhesive so it stick quite easily and moulds to the inner shape off the door.
I then taped up the joints with gaffer tape and also round the edges.

I then made sure all wiring was sound going to,electric mirror,speakers and door lock motor. . .moving on then to the outer panels of the door covering all holes except the speaker(I hope this has no repricusions with condensation but I used the vapour sheild anyway)

Then preped the door card and refitted......

Here's a few pictures the passenger door turned out better tbh

I'll be starting the rear of the car tomorrow

Baz

Drivers Door Finished
DSC00159-1.jpg

Passenger Door Stripped
DSC00161-1.jpg

You can make out the Flashing Tape in the inner door panel
DSC00162-1.jpg

Door card Preped
DSC00160-1.jpg

Passenger Door Finished
DSC00163-1.jpg

Nice, you'll have to let us know how well that flashing tape works, because I've heard mixed reviews. My doors look very similar now, loooads of gaffer tape holding the plastic tight over the door!

Tom

Nice, you'll have to let us know how well that flashing tape works, because I've heard mixed reviews. My doors look very similar now, loooads of gaffer tape holding the plastic tight over the door!

Tom

I will indeed ,it does'nt sound as tin can like!

i might do this on my k11 because i have a full straight through and coilovers anytime im going down the revs the car rattles like mad, do you think its worth it?

Took the car for a drive last night and it's made some difference all the stupid annoying rattles GONE!!
Road noise has decreased but still qiute loud with the tires I'm using!

Great job ,now I'm waiting for my new speakers mine a blown to bits!

Back