Sorry, more turbo conversion questions.

Hi everyone I am like so many before me looking at trying to fit a figaro exhaust manifold, turbo, ECCS and presumably ECU and inlet on a MA10s my questions are:
1) do i need the oil pump as well for turbo feed or are the pumps the same?
2) does the ECU only work on an auto 3 speed or does it not need gearbox feedback?
3) are the cylinder heads the same?
4) will the rest of the drive terrain (CV joints e.t) be able to take the power?
I realise these questions may have been answered somewhere before on this site but i am struggling to find them and any help/advice would be great, I have the love of k10's and forced induction to want to do this project just wanting some headers in the right direction. Many thanks

1) don't really understand, but I think your asking if the turbo needs its own oil pump? If so, then no. Just take a feed from the main oil gallery in the block. a t Piece on the oil pressure switch is a common place to do it

2) Havnt got a clue. Theres probably a neutral/park feed so that it cant be started in gear.

3) No idea

4) probably not, I think the turbo and ST micra's all have upgraded driveshafts and stuff. And figaro's are all auto's as the standard manual box will probably **** itself after a while

Not all heads are the same, apart from the difference in diameter, about 2-3 mm difference iirc, the ma12 head doesn't have the swirl cast on it, jus a straight shot onto the valve.
I'm using a ma12 head on my ma10 turbo engine, works fine, I've used with the thinking that it would lower the compression a bit,

No idea about the ecu, as I'm using bike carbs with the turbo.

Everything seems to be holding up fine at the moment on mine, but I haven't had chance to give it a proper thrashing

Cheers fellas. I had a look at your car pork NICE job very tidy indeed! I will probs have a crack at this some time over the summer and if on closer inspection the figaro ecu is gona be a pain ill try and use a pulsar one or something. One last quick question then pork why did you want to lower the compression ratio?

Makes it safer for more boost, I think :D

Have no idea how much swapping the head has lowered it by, but it's gotta of helped

I do need some sort of mappable ignition on mine tho, mega jolt is probably the way I'd go

Increasing pressure increases temp, making pre-detonation more likely. Lowering compression and lowering trmp (i.e. intercooler) are the two ways commonly used to prevent this.

Retarding the timing of ignition when on boost will help too I'm led to believe
you should be able mod your vacuum advance mech/diaphram neil, so that it not only retards when the mani vacuum drops, but also "extra retards" under boost :)

you should be able mod your vacuum advance mech/diaphram neil, so that it not only retards when the mani vacuum drops, but also "extra retards" under boost :)

How's that mate?

I was thinking of mega jolt, jus so I could have more control, but if there's a easier (cheaper) way,

How's that mate?

I was thinking of mega jolt, jus so I could have more control, but if there's a easier (cheaper) way,
the vacuum diaphram on the dizzy mate, it advances the spark under low load (high mani vacuum/low throttle) when your booost gauge is reading negative boost.
so you could mod it to push the rod for extra retard :)

About the auto gearbox, i would guess shifting etc is controlled via vaccum from the intake manifold (atleast thats the way its done on a Mercedes-Benz 230E)

Make the igntion go full retard!! wooho

That is a really good idea Frank I like that! I suppose you would set it up so it pushes the ignition back with high boost pressure then? And then its just a matter of calibration. Also I am going to look at a figaro being broken next week, so if the price is right, then let the fun begin. I doubt it will be as proper a job as yours pork but if I remember I will try and post some pics.

That is a really good idea Frank I like that! I suppose you would set it up so it pushes the ignition back with high boost pressure then? And then its just a matter of calibration. Also I am going to look at a figaro being broken next week, so if the price is right, then let the fun begin. I doubt it will be as proper a job as yours pork but if I remember I will try and post some pics.

Haha, thanks, but mine ain't no proper job! :D half my car is connected by cable ties!

Back