Smidge's Epic ST Service

smidge

Small Car Enthusiast
Site Supporter
Alright fellas, i got another few thousand K's then its time for a 100k service, i wanna do it properly and try and get a few more years out of my motor before it all goes south

i wanna do:

all fluids (local)
front and rear main seal (UK MA10S parts)
water pump ( ??? )
timing belt (have a nissan spare)
any tensioners (no idea??)
gaskets forthe above work (no idea??)
dizzy rotor and cap (got the cap, need rotor)
plugs (local)
suspension bushes (no idea?)

anything else i should look over?

maybe this can be a useful thread for anyone looking to do this kinda job

when i went to the local nissan place the guy asked me this:

""What is required is the Model code of this vehicle ,could you please supply the model code with all spaces and dashes included in the code so an enquiry can be made with Japan if these parts are still available.
Regards
Liverpool Nissan""

Can anyone else me exactly what info i should give him so he can look it up?? (keep in mind they have NEVER heard of these cars before)

If you PM me your VIN number I should be able to tell you for sure, however, using an ST i have a UK reg number for, their model code is as follows: EK10GFRH

Model codes aren't the same as VIN numbers, it's the stuff Nissan use for their parts system, and aren't unique to a car. For example my Primera GT's model code is somewhat more elaborate: FBYARUFP11EEAUQJL- lol

I had a feeling water pump was same as k11 not 100% tho.

Tensioners I'll find out about the ford laser ones that match.

Rotor and cap are E15ET match.

Susp bushes was custom job, sorry no easy option for ya on that one. They are easy enough to machine to size if yours are still somewhat intact to use as a basis. Talk to someone like fulcrum, if you have the shocks and springs but get them to 'fit' it with new bushes etc they are actually sort of helpful...just dont try and get them to source those things for you though :mad:

Water pump is nothing like a K11 one.

Bushes i may be having made soon since i think there is probably enough of us to bother now.

Ed

bushes

thanks a mill ed, oh do you have and tips on what i should do next to my st? i recently frount mounted it and am considering a new fuel pump regulator and mayb up the boost a little bit? how much hp can be got from the standard turbo and at what bar boost?

Stock fuel pump reg are fine, even up to 400+bhp leave that well alone!!

Standard turbo will do around 140-150ish bhp, at about 1.4~bar boost. But the car will need a remap to do that.

remap

ok thats good to no, so i dont nned to bother with the pump or reg, and i will need an emanage then yes? next question i no from a tuners point of view you would try get me over to england for you to do the mapping but i no it would be costly for me to go down this road so could i just get it mapped in the same place barry does and will that throttle sensor not adjusted right affect my sc at full throttle as mine still judders at full throttle

pump you can do, reg no point :) tbh the rest of what you asked needs checkin by your tuner - not me as Im not the one who will work on it.

wtf has this got to do with my service?!

right so...
water pump: MA10s
Tensioners: possible ford ones or MA10s (ford better, local!)
Window rubbers: Nissan gave me a quote, around $450 for all of them (?!?!)

Suspension bushes: Whiteline custom job possibly (see how i go) or Ed (if i wanna wait 3 years. ;)

wtf has this got to do with my service?!

right so...
water pump: MA10s
Tensioners: possible ford ones or MA10s (ford better, local!)
Window rubbers: Nissan gave me a quote, around $450 for all of them (?!?!)

Suspension bushes: Whiteline custom job possibly (see how i go) or Ed (if i wanna wait 3 years. ;)

lol

Don't put those plugs anywhere near the ST!!

Use NGK BCR8ES

Yeah all good got NGK 7's in there at the moment i think, or maybe 6's....

8s gonna be a little cold but its all good as long as it doesn't misbehave at idle etc, right?

I run 9's in mine - never had a problem. With your climate over there id typically go 8s

well this is true, although it felt very british as it rained non stop for the last two weeks!

not good for my little ST and any rust situations that may be forming

as for the service... i need to get the water pump, tensioners, front and rear seals and timing case gaskets, PCV valve, new sparkies, rotor button, oil filter, coolant and oil first :D

then i'm seriously considering taking the engine out of the car to do the work, got all the gear to do it just gotta man up and take it out

oh and while im there? i'd love to sort out my oil contamination problem cause i'm sick of my radiator cap being covered in oil all the time! (i reckon its the turbo.. but wtf would i know haha!)

oh yeah and re route my FMIC piping, tig weld it, shorten, relocate the changover valve and a few other things...

its all fermenting in my brain each day as i sort out my plan of attack
first hurdle is to not get screwed by ebay sellers charging me craploads for postage

which nice member there feels like sending me a paid for box full of goodies?!

well smidge a few things on your list i also need.
i know if i was to buy 2 lots of everything i could get them parts cheaper (CHEAPER) being the word everybody likes to here.
then once there at my door i can just send them to u for just the postage cost mate in 1 box. i already have a rotor arm you can have mate never been used.
what a pcv valve?

Smidge if you need parts I can post, sounds like you have been reading my brain over the relocation of pipes. BTW its of no real benefit however other than aesthetics even at 180 odd bhp.

Oil on rad cap sounds a bit odd. Are you getting water in the oil too?

thanks linz, i've gotta find places to source the parts first get part numbers etc...

Ed: yeah front drivers side headlight area if it will fit, that means having the hot pipe of the IC going over the hot area instead of the other way around

i'd still love to hear any ideas you've got about fixing that damn BPC valve, the one i've got is 90% okay just slips sometimes

no water in the oil!!! strange huh, that would have been massive warning bells, and it only takes a drive or two to build up a considerable amount of sludge... always floats to the cap though (and slowly lines the radiator as of last flush)

love to hear any ideas on what that is, i'm convinced its tired out turbo seals leaking it ever so slowly into the coolant, that said my timing case is in a bit of a mess with the front main seal leaking, not sure how that could be getting into the coolant though, will replace water pump soon just to be sure)

which is why a fresh T25 or something i can get locally easily would be a good solution for me

smidge, you need to do a test to see if you have any exhaust gasses present in your rad water. If oil can get into water, then sure as you'll find water getting into oil somewhere.

If I were you id do a decent system flush and then refill with nice clean antifreeze and see how you get on then.

smidge
If I were you id do a decent system flush and then refill with nice clean antifreeze and see how you get on then.

Yeah thanks Ed will have to go see a local garage about that one (scary...) Don't have the equipment for it

i've done a flush, looks like its a pretty long term problem as it was full of gunk the first time i flushed it which was only a few months ago, its not as bad as it was but its still happening

i haven't been driving it as much lately been on the motorbike heaps more so will start organising parts!

thanks for that kit linz! i wonder what the part number is as i could check with local nissan to see if they can get them

converting to GBP and then back to AUD from JPY is bloody expensive!

no chance of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Figaro-Rocker-Cover-Gasket_W0QQitemZ110351583478QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10402QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 fitting is there?

hey while we're at it fellas, where should i buy oil for my supercharger from do you think?

thanks Linz i emailed the figaro seller guy about that already, if i can't get my local nissan place to get me one in AUD then i'll buy through him... (ends up being almost a weeks pay just for the kit!)

yeah don't get me wrong the ST is in need of some maintenance if its going to last another few years, hopefully no one flogs it or smashes into it cause that would be a MASSIVE waste (can't transplant any parts to another cheap shell etc etc)

i'll take the motor and box out of the car i reckon and do it all on the stand, will re-do my FMIC piping in mild steel all welded up (unless aluminium is an option, nice and light and does the job currently, i just want heaps less clamps!)

gearbox needs a bit of oil now its a bit crunchy when cold

How's all this going now, Smidge??

I managed to pick up some timing belt kits with seals and tensioners for about $40 the other day then got water pumps for about $30. Ended up being cheaper than the Figaro dude. Its worth checking ebay regularly as cheap ones seem to pop up occassionally.

Edit: oh and add another $30 for delivery.

Yeah its worth keeping an eye out. I think k10 micra will usually give the most results...maybe pao would be worth checkin too since they have ma10s in em.

Yeah, last I heard he was really busy...I just hope he's busy with gettin the ST back up and running, would be nice to see it in action again.

You sure about that barry? For some reason I didn't think mine were, I can't remember now since its been years since I changed them,

Attachments

• Rocker cover gasket.jpg
    Rocker cover gasket.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 319
Need:
Rotor Button
Rocker Cover Gasket
Front wishbones L&R
Front strut hats
Rear suspension bushes (all if its not gonna cost me a grand or more)
Water pump & Tensioners (got a belt already) + any gaskets for timing case etc
Front and Rear main seals
Clutch (gonna use a K11 clutch with the ST pressure plate)

so who wants to ship all that to me from the UK? :D

Haha, one of my first ever posts after gettin the ST was asking about the rotor button and I got burned coz the english just call em rotors apparently. :D

However, I used one from a E15.

Pump, tensioners and seals you can pick up on e-bay.

I get the impression bushes will need to be fabricated as I havent heard of any off the shelf jobs. A couple of people have asked about mine so I am going to see if there is any chance of me gettin more made up, will let yas know about price once I get a chance to find out more...I havent had much free time of late though.

whats wrong the the factory rubber ones? seeing im not flogging my ST round a track like Baz i'd actually LIKE some compliance in the suspension to save my sanity and bones

Back