Modding an ST

Snikty

Site Supporter
I'm looking at making a start on modding the ST in the near future and before I get too carried away with things that will cost loads of cash I want to get stuck into doing a lot of the 'small' jobs first. I'd really appreciate any advice on things like induction kits and fuel pumps etc that will give me a little more power, efficiency or better sound.

Any info/opinions on brands, part numbers etc is really appreciated as I have no-one I can ask in australia that would really know anything specific to a ST and I don't know enough to completely trust my decissions...

I was looking at this one...let me know if it would be suitable or if I would be better off with another type as I'm on a pretty big learning curve at the moment and don't mind admitting that i don't much at all...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/APEXI-POWER-AIR-FILTER-NISSAN-S14-S15-BLITZ-HKS-K-N_W0QQitemZ250177503556QQihZ015QQcategoryZ102557QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any other info on things I can do like fuel pump etc would be greatly appreciated...I just havent had a chance to start looking into it anymore yet.

Thanks heaps, guys n gals.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
mods

You only need to change the fuel pump if your running alot of boost so you wont need to change that,air filter an ok mod but supercharger can be really annoying at motorway speeds(highway you probably call it)wont really give you much of a power gain as the intake tract is so long imo.You could get a stainless steel exhaust they sound good.

If your think of up the boost,you'll need a uprated fuel pump,boost controller or bleed valve(Personally I would'nt fit a bleed valve) and maybe a greedy e-manage unit,I have done all of these mods and my st is 126.7bhp at 1bar(not much over standard 0.9bar) and 107ft/lb torque, but engine is capable of more,the guy that was doing the power run said he was'nt comfortable running it at 1.2 bar on the rollers as he had no experience with an st.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
custom all the way I'm afraid you won't find it on the shelf. first I would change the exhaust. turbo back if you can afford to. Get a 2inch system at least, bye bye cats and lots of free power. Then since you are in australia I would get a front mount intercooler. you'll need it.. if you can get a K&N gtir filter kit this can be easily modified to fit. turn boost up to 1 bar and get it checked on a rolling road. don't do anything more unless you want to fit e-manage etc. btw, I can re-map the st ecu's.
Ed

OP
OP
Snikty

Snikty

Site Supporter
Thanks heaps for the info guys, that's all a huge help. I'm pretty sure I know where to go from here as I have a mechanically minded friend here with me who could translate :)

I have the car on the dyno as we speak and once I have looked at how the car is running now with nothing done to it I will take it from there. I am thinking of going e-manage eventually but realistically its a good year or two away. I'll be sure to lets yas know how it goes, might even start a blog or something since I'll be starting from scratch.

Thx again and sorry for the late response, had teh flu :(

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Thanks heaps for the info guys, that's all a huge help. I'm pretty sure I know where to go from here as I have a mechanically minded friend here with me who could translate :)

I have the car on the dyno as we speak and once I have looked at how the car is running now with nothing done to it I will take it from there. I am thinking of going e-manage eventually but realistically its a good year or two away. I'll be sure to lets yas know how it goes, might even start a blog or something since I'll be starting from scratch.

Thx again and sorry for the late response, had teh flu :(

Keep us informed love watching people putting a bit of time into these cars,there's something strange about an st its gets to the stage whereits like an old dog that been in the family for years and years,you get attatched to it. . . .sorry bout the rant but anyone feel the same?Ed?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
old dog is perhaps not a term i would use hahaha. But anyway, yes they are worth keeping nice, and when tweaked a little are very good fun.

OP
OP
Snikty

Snikty

Site Supporter
Haha yeah I'm very find of my ST, has so much more personality than any other car I've owned. I just got off the phone to my mechanic and it was pretty amusing...firstly the receptionist kept refering to it as "My Little Baby" and went on to say how they all thought it was one of the neatest cars they've had in for ages and was just so gorgeous. Then when I was chatting to the mechanic, he was saying they were all pretty gobsmacked to see how much power it had...no one there was expecting the results they got. I'm just stoked that I've now got a reputable mechanic who might actually have an appreciation for the car...I wondered if that would ever happen over here.

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Haha yeah I'm very find of my ST, has so much more personality than any other car I've owned. I just got off the phone to my mechanic and it was pretty amusing...firstly the receptionist kept refering to it as "My Little Baby" and went on to say how they all thought it was one of the neatest cars they've had in for ages and was just so gorgeous. Then when I was chatting to the mechanic, he was saying they were all pretty gobsmacked to see how much power it had...no one there was expecting the results they got. I'm just stoked that I've now got a reputable mechanic who might actually have an appreciation for the car...I wondered if that would ever happen over here.

If he likes the car he will like working on it,good stuff. . . . .

James

Chairman
K10s must be VERY few and far between in AUS! Let alone a Superturbo!

Do you have an equivalent to the Freedom of Information Act over there that you can quote to the government body responsible for cars to find out how many K10s there are on the road? Ed did this in the UK to find out how many STs there were here, I can't remember how many they said there were but it wasn't many!

OP
OP
Snikty

Snikty

Site Supporter
K10s must be VERY few and far between in AUS! Let alone a Superturbo!

Do you have an equivalent to the Freedom of Information Act over there that you can quote to the government body responsible for cars to find out how many K10s there are on the road? Ed did this in the UK to find out how many STs there were here, I can't remember how many they said there were but it wasn't many!

I was actually going to look into this. As far as I know there would be NO standard K10's. I do know that there is at least 4 ST's in the country tho, including mine I think there are 3 white ones and a navy one. Someone on the micra forums over here told me there was a fun day event last year where they had two ST's racing against each other and most people were blown away by the way they were cornering. It is possible that neither of those ones are actually street registered tho, depends on who owns them i guess, but i got the impression they were owned by racing teams. I'll investigate and let yas know what i come up with, I'm half expecting to see that mine and maybe one other will be the only street registered ones. But will let yas kow for sure once i do the FOI thing.

Just found out that as motor authorities are managed at a state level I would basically have to do a FOI request for each state at about $35 a pop...as much as i'd like to, I got better stuff to spend $250 on.

James

Chairman
Ouch! It's free over here :confused:, we just e-mail the DVLA! Never mind then

$35 kind of negates the Freedom doesn't it? :upside: