Small engine trouble

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
My Mates K10 micra (old shape) engine decided to stop workin in a cloud of smoke and noise and oily death

Well we had a look at his car we diagnosed a faulty spark plug ;)

then 2 hours later after the engine was out, to change said spark plug we found this :-
PICT0143.jpg

followed by this!!:-

PICT0145.jpg

PICT0146.jpg

So we think its the distributer! anyone else know what it could be?? :laugh:

fook me. ive only ever seen that kind of damage once before. thats was on a 7 series beemer. faulty distributor:laugh: what he got planend then. is he gonna replace the engine or just the bottom end.

Thats some good oily death. I did that to my MA10 on the way to Scotland, it was brilliant, made a really good noise, and more smoke than I could have ever hoped for..

were gona replace it with a sunny 1.4 12v should be done by tomoz hopefuly. That engine is well and trully gone not even a new set of stickers is gona fix that!

Well went round and took a few more picks to show the damage better. :)

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0149.jpg

PICT0148.jpg

This is the valve that intercepted a piston!
PICT0155.jpg

And heres the mark it made!!

PICT0154.jpg

New lump 2morrow!

i've seen that on an MA12 block from the L reg K10 Super S. Mark brough it up to me, and on the way it was breathing so heavily it spat all its oil out and chucked one of the big ends out the front of the block.

Was that an MA10 or 12? Can I have one of the collets from the valves please? :) I lost one doing my head gasket a few months back & I'd like to restore my donor engine! :)

Nasty!!! Reminds me of what the old engine in my car looked like lol. Not good though, and I look after the engines now with regualr oil checks hehe. Good luck with the transplant, let us know how it goes. :D

well this is his new engine with its attached freind!

PICT0161.jpg

PICT0162.jpg

Hmmm its having a side exit exhaust like RC development one and will be sucking trough a nice carb!

LOL well see hnow long this one last i recon a week at max!

I have arc eye now due to weding it together i was in A&E 4 hours this morning! freak accident! ohn well it was worth it!

Suck trhough carb? Well that removes the posibility of any intercooler then..

Hope your eye's feeling better...

You know your exhaust mainfold has a hole in it don't you? :)

Look forward to seeing it in the road :D

lol Eye feeling fine today! sweet, going to pick up my SR20 today from the machine shop.

The holw is along storry lol its actually where the studs for the origeonal down pipe go, but wher sheared them off some time ago and had to drill through it to get new bolts down to hold the down pipe up.

This is only a mess around project just to see what works and what doesnt lol i wouldnt get my hopes up to much. its not top quality!

Drill out the needle on the old carb attach it to the inlet of the turbo, retard the timing as uch as possible, and see how long it lasts! i recon a week max!

I've never seen a suck through system on any production car. Kind of sounds similar to one of those jet engines that uses a turbo as the compressor and turbine, except the wrong way round. Hopefully it shouldn't do the whole jet engine thing unless it gets too hot.

Good luck with it... it will certainly be cool if it works. Even if it doesn't work, I reckon you'll get a good engine death again.

meh its like i always say you dont know what works till you try. alot of people just sit there saying your doding it wrong blah blah blah but im lerning and having fun!

edison tried 1000 different designs for the light bulb. he said he didnt fail 1000 times he just found 1000 ways how not to make a lightbulb! lol

Raceworx said:
edison tried 1000 different designs for the light bulb. he said he didnt fail 1000 times he just found 1000 ways how not to make a lightbulb! lol

He even got to electrocute an elephant doing it.

now theres somthing that sounds like fun! i wonder what an elehant sound like ebing electrocuted? hmmm strange

There was an old Capri V6 from the USA that had a draw through carbed turbo system. A pretty horrid design by all accounts!

A few of the early A series turbo conversions used suck through carb system, and the supercharged rover V8 we used to have in our ofroader used a suck through system, not the best system but it works. :) Why not go all out and convert it to Fuel Injection? :p I have a coupel of spare megasquirt mini PCB's and a couple of spare MSnS extra chips spare. :) one of them is going in my metro (eventually when i finish the new engine) and the other was destined for my CB900 but i changed my mind with the CB900 and decided to stick with carbs.
Owen

Back