• This is an archive of the old Blogs system from the previous software. If you would like your blog entries moving/merging into the relevant forum/thread, please PM James. These blogs are READ ONLY. Replies CANNOT be made.

SLX part 2

Stuff arrived today!
Got pretty much all the parts I needed.
However....

attachment.php

Gearbox arrived without the drive for the oil pump! It had fallen over in the couriers van, when the electromagnetic clutch fell out so did the oil pump drive.
As it sits in the middle of the input shaft I thought I was going to have to delay fitting the box. Then I had the idea of removing the oil pump. You can change the pump with the gearbox in the car, when I get the oil pump drive I can slot it in and refit the pump.
So I took the 3 10mm bolts out and made up a 'special tool' to remove the pump...

attachment.php

Before fitting the box I checked the electromagnetic clutch (Thats the bit the brushes run against)
First I stuck my finger in the hole in the middle engaging the slip ring. It spun smoothly with light resistance. You dont want it to be rough, jammed or spin without resistance.
Next I checked the resistance between the 2 contacts. You want between 1.5 and 7.5 ohms.

attachment.php

Mine was ok, at 2.8 ohms. I washed my hands before I ate breakfast!
Next I checked to make sure the contacts were not earthing against the casing. They were ok...

attachment.php

If you dont get these readings you can swap this bit over as its only held on with 2 screws.

After a bit of heaving, sweating, swearing and 'Gutbuster' fried breakfast it was in!

attachment.php

Looks more like a car now! :laugh:(Y)

The gearbox we fitted was slightly different as it was out of an S reg (ours is an M). The electromagnetic clutch was slightly different...

attachment.php

The new one is on the left, the original on the right.
And the speedo drive. Ours is the early type that uses a speedo cable, the new box had a speed sensor for the digital speedo in newer cars. However, a quick check showed the gears match up and the adaptor fits the hole perfectly! Which was re assuring, given we had just lifted the damn thing in!

attachment.php

After raking about a bit we managed to find a spare oil pump drive, stuck it in and refitted the oil pump.
Thats the drive...

attachment.php

Back