slipping warning lights

Weird thing happening with my k13. When I drive onto the motorway and reach the same spot on the road (under a bridge) the warning lights for slipping/skidding risk come on ( I think that's what they mean). I've noticed the offside front tyre is a total crap one and does not have much grip. I was thinking that could be the problem. Restarting the engine clears the lights. The lights don't come on in summer weather at all. Only when the roads are wet all the time as in autumn / winter. Just wondering if this will be an MOT fail if the lights come on during the MOT test.

IMG_20201116_130908.jpg

Last edited:
If the tyres were slipping enough to activate the 'traction control' then the light would come on, then go off once the wheel regains traction. With the light staying on, along with the 'off' light would suggest that there is a fault somewhere.
ESP works by using the ABS sensors to work out what each wheel is doing and then uses the ABS pump to control the wheel speed to prevent or reduce wheel spin, so this narrows down what needs to be looked at.

I am not sure if it's an MOT failure, but a fault that brings up the ABS light is an MOT failure. By the sounds of it, the ABS light is not coming on suggesting the problem maybe elsewhere but need to start with the basics.

Is there anything special about that bit of road? Is there a dip or hump in the road, is it wet/puddled?

Where I would start..

1. When the light comes on, press the EPS button to see if it switches EPS back on. If it does, then for whatever reason the EPS is being
switched off during motion

2. Check each corners wheel speeds. If you have a OBD reader, I think you may be able to see each wheel speed with it (ive not checked myself). They may not read exactly the same but should be VERY close and consistent. If one is erratic, showing an odd reading or nothing then it could be a bad sensor or wiring. I would observe it driving normally, then over the bit of road you have the problem.

3. Does the ABS work as expected? If you anchor on in the damp, does the ABS kick in and pulse the brakes as appropriate without bring up a warning light?

4. Check brake fluid level - is it between the min/max mark?

Thanks for helping. The same thing happend again today on the same road but this time it was windy and the warning lights came on sooner. The road is always wet when the warning lights come on.

The brake fluid is above the max mark, so I will start off by taking the excess fluid out. I don't have a scanner. I'm sure the abs is working as I can hear the pulsing when braking down a steep hill.

It should only pulse the brakes (which you should hear via the pump and feel through the brake pedal) if the wheels are about to lock up which should only happen if you are in an emergency or on a very slippery surface, not during normal driving.

When the light came on, did you press the ESP button to see if it would turn it back on?

Reducing the fluid level is best practice but I doubt it will resolve the issue

It is curious that it is happening in the same spot.
Although, you are more than likely best to take it to a garage for them to look at. Its probably just a sensor that's getting damp and causing an error, although as said in my last post, I would expect other lights to come on such as the ABS light

It should only pulse the brakes (which you should hear via the pump and feel through the brake pedal) if the wheels are about to lock up which should only happen if you are in an emergency or on a very slippery surface, not during normal driving.

When the light came on, did you press the ESP button to see if it would turn it back on?

Reducing the fluid level is best practice but I doubt it will resolve the issue

It is curious that it is happening in the same spot.
Although, you are more than likely best to take it to a garage for them to look at. Its probably just a sensor that's getting damp and causing an error, although as said in my last post, I would expect other lights to come on such as the ABS light

I will try pressing the ESP button when it happens again.

Update: pressing the ESP button does nothing and the lights stay on until I restart the engine.
I noticed the offside tyre is a rubbish brand "autogrip" and the outside edge of the tyre is badly worn. I will try a new tyre and see what happens.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. I solved the problem. I tested the car again driving down the motorway and even though there were no crosswinds the car felt like wind was blowing on it and making it sway from side to side as I drove down the motorway. So I checked the wheel alignment and the front passenger wheel had a full inch of toe in, which I corrected to have a fraction of toe in. Now the car feels rock solid driving down the motorway and no warning lights. Happy days.

I will try pressing the ESP button when it happens again.

Update: pressing the ESP button does nothing and the lights stay on until I restart the engine.
I noticed the offside tyre is a rubbish brand "autogrip" and the outside edge of the tyre is badly worn. I will try a new tyre and see what happens.
The outside wear of the tyre sounds like an alignment problem.

Sent from my NE2211 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Back