Help with MOT & lights

MOT tomorrow, and am checking my lights for first time. I am a complete novice, not really into cars, and don't understand what should be happening....

1. When I set my lights to 'sidelight' option (the first one when turning the left hand stick forward), then I get two red position lights at the rear, but at the front, in the main lights, there is a dimmer light, but only on the off-side. Nearside is not on at all. Is this an MOT fail?

2. When I set my lights to normal (the second option on the stick), both of the normal lights at front come on. I think this is OK.

3. I wanted to test the fog lights,. From off, I turned engine on, turned the little knob on the stick to select the one fog light option (there's OFF and fog light settings), and in doing so this also turned on the sidelight option. There appears to be no difference to this setting than to sidelights on its own except that a rear fog-light on the off-side comes on, is this how it's meant to work? Is there supposed to be some kind of different light at the front?

MOT tomorrow, and am checking my lights for first time. I am a complete novice, not really into cars, and don't understand what should be happening....

1. When I set my lights to 'sidelight' option (the first one when turning the left hand stick forward), then I get two red position lights at the rear, but at the front, in the main lights, there is a dimmer light, but only on the off-side. Nearside is not on at all. Is this an MOT fail?

2. When I set my lights to normal (the second option on the stick), both of the normal lights at front come on. I think this is OK.

3. I wanted to test the fog lights,. From off, I turned engine on, turned the little knob on the stick to select the one fog light option (there's OFF and fog light settings), and in doing so this also turned on the sidelight option. There appears to be no difference to this setting than to sidelights on its own except that a rear fog-light on the off-side comes on, is this how it's meant to work? Is there supposed to be some kind of different light at the front?
1. This is the dim dip system. With the side lights on, the main lights will faintly illuminate. Normal.

2. Sound right

3. When you flick the fog switch on, itwill turn the sidelights on too if they're not already on.

Everything sounds spot on. Good luck with your MOT!

Back