skimming sound while cornering

Hi there,

My little colette makes a kind of metallic 'skim-skim-skim' noise when cornering right which somes from the right wheel. Any ideas? I think I had this with a previous micra and the mechanic said its something rubbing against the axle which he quickly whipped off. I cant remember for the life of me what bit is doing the rubbing. Any ideas?

wedge a big screwdriver inbetween the ball joints and the bushes and see if theres any excess movement. Has to be jacked up.

have you got bigger wheels?? could be that.. or maybe the brake disc protectors are rubbing on the disc?

Yes its the front right side.

I think you are right in that it is coming from the brake protectors. What do these look like and should I just whip them off or can I bend them back?

H

where tour front discs are their is a shield round them all you need to do is bend it back you carnt miss it it is on the inside of the discs

Yes Agree
Ive had this a few times too

the brake disk shields are normally very close to the rotating disks and as they get older they rust up or can get some crap or a stone wedged in them...or as the rust swells and flakes it touches the disk.....

the result is that you get this scraping sound...(verry embarrassing LOL)

be brutal with either a screwdriver or grips / pliers and bend the shield away from the disk a little all the way around

surely if it were the disk backing thing, it would do it all the time, not just when cornering?

unless something was loose or worn such as the wheel bearing.

if they are rusted thin then centrifugal force when cornering will make the disc shields flex, this will in turn allow them to contact the disc.

they also protect from stones, water, wildlife etc when driving, which could be quite dangerous if you take them off. I'd personally just bend them back.

Back