Shortened air intake

Hey peeps. yesterday I shortened my air intake hose as in attached picture...im wondering will this negatively affect the engine atall or will the ecu and sensors automatically adjust to this? The standard air intake hose has a few sharp bends and is very long and ends at a location where air flow is poor and must surely be smothered...im assuming by having shortened it the air flow will be much better ( air coming from under car+air coming from fog light plastic thingy I removed. anyone else done this and noticed gains or losses? Not driven it like this enough yet to see. Also should I get a free flowing panel I.e pipercross to compliment this? Can you have too much airflow?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418562834417.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418562834417.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 915
the sensors only compensate when you run closed loop marc (ie, not full throttle in 1st and 2nd)
and you have lost the cold air intake

the snorkel was designed to smooth out any airflow anomalies (a nice torque curve, without dips) you may (?) gain a couple of hp at full chat, in the winter.
you will probably lose a couple of hp in hot weather

Ill see what its like over the next couple of days...if its worse than stock....ill gaffa it back together and bolt it back on....planning to get almera 1.6 airbox soon anyway and run a custom intake hose to the grill with a performance filter in the box anyway mate...prolly the best course.

I did similar, but added a cone to the end after removing the filter from the box. Definite improvement to the response times. Improvement in horse power - maybe.
Would not go back to the old set up.
001_zps6377f3ca.jpg

I like your set up davyboy. Drove a bit tonight. Some bypass, some semi-urban and mid range and top end power/torque is much better. Engine went like a rocket when revved enough with shortened intake and felt much freer revving and it was free revving from stock lol ( and thats with 3 passengers in car one of whom was heavy built) will be even quicker with just me. But low end torque seems to have suffered a bit and on bypass it struggles getting past 60 feels like turbulence problems and or too much air. And i get jerking turbulence (dont we all fellas heh) at low speeds. will test it some more tomorrow. When engine is cold it doesnt like it and seems to have issue with it and feels turbulent. When engine has been driven a while it responds better to the mod.

What does that sound like davyboy? Looks like it would sound good. So your getting the power from the almera box and the noise from the cone? Best of both worlds hmmm

But low end torque seems to have suffered a bit .
which is why many modern cars have the "bunch of banana,s" inlet manifold, the late closing inlet valves cause flow reversion in the intake at low rpm, but a long thin induction tract overcomes that effect sooner

mwWl3tYH6kzvJDV-x0UCQ7Q.jpg

What does that sound like davyboy? Looks like it would sound good. So your getting the power from the almera box and the noise from the cone? Best of both worlds hmmm
Sounds nice when been pushed a bit, no difference when driving a bit sensible, but overall I think most would be happy.
Never had any issues when cold, or at 60+ mine is a 1.4 though - have to keep my eye on the speedo on the motorway, or I'm well over in the blink of an eye.....then she's roaring like a Ferrari brap, brap !

Back