shocks

Anto Modded

Ex. Club Member
i lowered the car 40mm a few months ago and left the old shocks in. but there starting to leak now. not much but still. i have a few questions.............1. what type of replacment one do i put in. 2. and if there shorter will they lower the car a bit better than the standard ones i had. 3. can i get ajustable shocks. whats the best online store to get them from.
Thanks

there is loads when u do a search i got a lot of usefull info when i was after some new ones for the now deceased molly

richmicratwista said:
ur answer to question 2

im pretty sure the shocks are the same size it is ur lowering springs that makes the car lower

Yeah that is the case, it is the spring that is shorter so basically "pulls" the wheels off the car up to the arches.

Davey C had shortened ones, but I'm sure that was internally.

when you shorten your springs you SHOULD shorten your shocks too, but you can get away with it with certain drops, I wouldn't worry about it at 35 to 40mm

I have never heard of anyone shortening shock absorbers and I am not sure how you would go about it. The shocks are threaded at the top where they go through the mounting (or the bottom if you have bilstein struts). To shorten them you would have to make the thread longer and I doubt if the rods are mild steel. So it would not be easy

The shock absorbers do not affectt he height of the car, it is only the springs which do that. When you hit a bump hard enough the car will run out of suspension travel, but this is softened by the bump stops, which stop damage to the car. The shock absorbers paly no part in this.

When you lower the car it just sits a bit lower on the shocks, the piston is a bit lower in the bore than at normal ride height. And tha's it. Your car will run out of suspension travel sooner than before, but I have never known that be a problem on road use.

After all if you had to change the length of the shock absorber every time you changed the ride height how would you manage with adjustable platform sprongs like you find on alot of competition cars. They will change the ride height in the middle of an event in a few minutes if need be.

Back