Shims for CG13DE

cuprotas

Buy & Sell Member
Hi,

everybody are talking that if you regrind the original CAMS from CG13DE engine you will have to use oversized shims...Anyone can maybe send the picture of those shims? What are they? You know, technical english are too tough for me, so please help me with this guys

Very best regards
Alex

Attachments

• PICT0196.JPG
    PICT0196.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 457
  • PICT0195.JPG
    PICT0195.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 576
how much would cost me to make the new shims?

So in the picture I see what is called "the shims"? Or is it top plates only or with bottom ciliders too?

the shim is the biscuit shaped part, the other part is the bucket.
if they grind a lot off the cam, the heavy,er shim "may" jump out, so an extra shim inside the bucket is a safer option, imo :)

Thanks very much!
Who are the makers of these shims for CG13 in the UK? How much appr. they may cost? Then I will try to find out our price and write you the comparison of the prices.
P.S. Merry upcoming Christmas everyone!!!

Thanks very much!
Who are the makers of these shims for CG13 in the UK? How much appr. they may cost? Then I will try to find out our price and write you the comparison of the prices.
P.S. Merry upcoming Christmas everyone!!!

i hav,nt bought any myself, but i guess any machine shop would charge about £20 each :eek: (in silver steel) and double that in high carbon steel :eek::eek:

Yes you can get bigger biscuts made but make sure who makes them hardens them right. I've had lads say oh i can get them cheaper then i get them do a hardness test on them and they are no good.

Another way is to get new tappet buckets and put small shims on top of the valve stems.

Frank i wouldn't double up on shims in the buckets no very good at all as they could be flicked out by the cams.

The above two ways are the only real way of doing the tappets right. There no cheap way of doing it and it very crucial to the engine running and performance

Yes you can get bigger biscuts made but make sure who makes them hardens them right. I've had lads say oh i can get them cheaper then i get them do a hardness test on them and they are no good.

Another way is to get new tappet buckets and put small shims on top of the valve stems.

Frank i wouldn't double up on shims in the buckets no very good at all as they could be flicked out by the cams.

The above two ways are the only real way of doing the tappets right. There no cheap way of doing it and it very crucial to the engine running and performance

no robert, my extra shims are INSIDE the buckets (and have been for over 12 months) and you can,t fit tophats to a cg

You can fit tophats to the micra engine but there a bit of work involved and special buckets would need to be made aswell.

Fair enough frank if your shims are working perfect for you, just from an engines builder point of view it's not the done thing really.

You can fit tophats to the micra engine but there a bit of work involved and special buckets would need to be made aswell.

Fair enough frank if your shims are working perfect for you, just from an engines builder point of view it's not the done thing really.

robert

granted, it,s a bit unorthodox, but i can,t see how tophats can be safely used when there,s only about 1mm of valvestem protruding fwn.
here,s a ground down shim from the piper inlet (the autosprint cam has stock size shims), it just burnishes a contact point and shows no signs of wear (just checked my mot, done 26k miles since april :eek:)
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11338&stc=1&d=1230213441
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11339&stc=1&d=1230213441

Attachments

• PICT0197.JPG
    PICT0197.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 390
  • PICT0201.JPG
    PICT0201.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 419
o.k frank i see what you mean now.

I can see from the pic that the shim is not sitting properly on the top of the valves from the marks, but if it's works.

I could fit tophats on but not really important only competition engines would need this really. Bigger biscuits are the best way for people on this fourm really.

Back