Servicing..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

well its that time of the year that my car needs a good service, i just wanted to get an idea of the stuff that i need to check and the stuff that i need to change?

also are there any oils, plugs, filters etc that you recommend and that you have had good results from?

Thanks

bosch super plus 4 plugs making my engine run just a little better i also put some castrol magnitec in when i changed the oil and filter last week makes it a little quieter than the stuff nissan got me.

depending on your milage, i'd suggest some ametech engine restore. it goes in your normal oil and costs about £20, but 1000 miles after i'd put it in, my car pulled stronger, sounded rortier and even bounced off the limiter faster! its well worth it (my car has 92000 miles on it)

ooo got a link to it? and do you just stick the whole bottle in? i was thinking of of using castrol Magnatec.. not sure if its anygood, any idea how much oil i need to put in aswell? is 4L enough?

if you have bought the car secondhand and you dont know the history then i would change all fluids,
engine oil,gearbox oil(for cvt use nissan cvt fluid),power steering fluid,brake fluid,antifreeze and replace the oil filter ,air filter and clean the engine breather foam filter in the airbox
after doing this you have a good start point for all future maintenance

you'd need to hoover it i guess. removed my airbox so dont have it. clean the actual air filter with a compressed air line., then give it a bit of a hoover!

This may be an obvious thing, but don't forget to buy a new gasket for the oil drain plug... It is the crush type made of copper and they never seem to seal again after taking them loose.

you can braze the washer. just put it on the end of a screwdriver and heat it up until its red hot (blow torch or a major cig lighter!) then quench it in cold water. perfect to use again!

you can braze the washer. just put it on the end of a screwdriver and heat it up until its red hot (blow torch or a major cig lighter!) then quench it in cold water. perfect to use again!
A new washer was a bit cheaper than a torch or lighter :D ..but I can see how it would work.

hmm i have a little blow torch that i could do that with, so the washer thats on the sump plug? heat it till red hot then drop in cold water then use it again? i was kinda planning to just buy a new washer, do i need a new sump plug too?

thats the one! just make sure you're not holding it at the time! put it on the end of a screwdriver (unless you've got the shakes) or in a vice. then just douse it until its cold. you wont need a new sump plug, so long as the threads are good.

ive not got to playing with oil weights yet, but run mine on 5/30. its accepted within motorsport that motorbike engine oil in your gearbox will give you a couple of horses, and the more expensive the oil, the better the power gain.

tomwest said:
ive not got to playing with oil weights yet, but run mine on 5/30. its accepted within motorsport that motorbike engine oil in your gearbox will give you a couple of horses, and the more expensive the oil, the better the power gain.

Really o_O

yes seriously guys! bike engine oil tends to be thinner than car gearbox oil [that helps the box spin up easier) , but because it does the bikes gearbox as well, it still has all the proper additives for the box. i know a couple of guys who run 2nd hand motorbike BSB level race engine oil (because the bikes only use it for 20 mins or so) in their gearboxes, and some have seen over 5bhp on the dyno. when i get to it, i shall be using Castrol Power 1 racing 4T oil. put in the same amount as the haynes manual says (not as much as you took out skymera!)

dead easy. drain the old oil and put the new stuff in. the oil replacement is purely to reduce mechanical drag. even the oil has drag, so the less draggy oil you have the easier it is to send the power from the engine to the wheels! :D

yeahh i would quite like to do it, it certianly sounds worth it and noticable :p where would i get the oil from? and how do i drain it out of the gear box? where do i re fill the gear box? and how much do i put in? aha sorry for lots of questions :p

having not looked at the job yet i couldnt tell you! ive not been anywhere my gearbox yet!most likely the drain will be on the bottom at the lowest point of the box (most likely engine side) and the drain will be up the side somewhere. the refill hole is normally a 3/8" square hole.

so a pritty small hole, when are you planning to do yours? i would be interested to know what oil you use, and also pics of where the drain is and where you fill it from if possible? :)

i shall be using 2nd hand Castrol Power 1 racing 4T from a kawasaki zx10-r, as theres a race prepped one in the garage haha! its a 10/40 btw! the haynes manual says manual transmission fluid between 2.8 and 3.0L. the transmission drain points to the left hand wheel on the bottom of the gearbox.

for an early model micra (pre-facelift) you can check the oil level by removing the speedo drive and pinion then measuring the air gap. this would suggest to me that you ne and 3 led to refill it from here as well. ANYBODY WHO KNOWS BETTER PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME

later model micras have a filler/level check plug on the front face of the box. the box is at correct level if you:

1)remove the plug, let any excess oil drain out.
2) refill with new oil until new oil spills out
3) leave to stop dripping on its own.

enjoy! there are pics in the haynes manual, but im not going outside right now coz the rain is horrible!

fair enough, ill have to dig mine out and have a look :p when are you planning to do this? im interested to see if you actually notice the gain from it, or see if it feels differnt or pulls better etc :p

as soon as its got an mot again. pretty much prepared now, fuel pressure back to std, airbags back in. just need to book a test! probably gonna do it at the same time as my engine oil and filter change. its been 1500 miles with an additive in it.

yeah its improved the engine. its supposed to fill the holes in the cylinder walls meaning better compression, giving better burn characteristics.

if you have bought the car secondhand and you dont know the history then i would change all fluids,
engine oil,gearbox oil(for cvt use nissan cvt fluid),power steering fluid,brake fluid,antifreeze and replace the oil filter ,air filter and clean the engine breather foam filter in the airbox
after doing this you have a good start point for all future maintenance
Hey do you know how to change the CVT fluid? I just want to know if I'm looking at the right bolt underneath my micra. It looks like it is on the left side and about 16mm bolt. Thanks

Back