Safety at Work

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Just a quick story to show how easy it is to get complacent, which is when things start going wrong!

Was under the car earlier today, fiddling about, i had my hand resting on top of the wing, and the bonnet slammed shut on my thumb. I stupidly hadn't locked it up since on the k10 it stay open on its own (usually) i was alone with no one about and didn't have my phone on me. My thumb was in agony, i guess i was lucky it wasn't chopped off, the bonnet however had locked down, with thumb trapped inside being crushed, i couldn't reach the release inside the car. In the end i managed through a massive effort (helped no doubt by adrenalin) to pull up the side of the bonnet enough to get my thumb out.

While very bruised and looking a mess it still works and luckily seems fine now then swelling has gone down. Could have ended very differently!

Just though i'd send that out, cos it can apply to loads of situations, i.e. you jack up the car to get a wheel off, no axle stands cos your just changing a wheel, and then of course while its off you better check the pads, you put your head underneath....

haha well today i cut my thumb off!! had to get it stiched back on and last week i cut the tip of my middle finger off! weird lol.

I take safety importantly on a car, i'll sometimes position 2 or more stands under the car when working on it. The minimum I will do is position the wheel under the car so in the event of the car dropping it will only drop a minimal amount.

Bummer about your thumb dude.

I was actually shaking a bit after the incident, because it could have been so much worse, i thought it'd be alright because i was just quickly wiring up a lamda sensor to the exhaust not doing any 'serious' work. Well actually i probably didn't think at all!

i once had a primera jacked up without axle stands. i was underneath the car lookin at the rear caliper. 10 seconds after i got from under the car the jack sank into the ground and the space where my head was had been reduced to less than the size of my head. it scared me so much i left the car and jack where it was til the next day. im glad it happened tho cos ive done alot of things differently since. safety should never be overlooked.
ne

My thumb after today bandaged up
001-2.jpg

Back