Rusty hole

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all

i have a hole in the bottom of my spare wheel recess that is about the size of a 1p coin.

it was a smaller hole put there by some idiot who installed a foglight and drilled a hole for the wires. but the hole has rusted and got bigger. i have tried to drill it so that it is back to the bare metal, and then prime and paint it and finally seal it with a blind gromit, BUT it is too big for my drill bits and too small for my gromit...

any ideas on how to sort it?

thanks

get a bigger drill bit :p

lol i am not made of money any more >>

this bit would have to be close to an inch across, i am pretty sure that is in the relms of hole cutters. but because the hole is already there i cant use a hole cutter

There are drill bits that are kinnda like sanders, get a hold of one of them and just sand it round and round done that for a hole of rust on my mums old car, you prob got one lieing around?

Cant you get it rounded enough for a gromit with the drill? Like shave bits off with the side of the drill bit. It'll blunt the shaft of the drill bit but thats what i did when i needed a big hole in me boot when fitting me spoiler. I had lots of already blunt drill bits though hehe.

There are drill bits that are kinnda like sanders, get a hold of one of them and just sand it round and round done that for a hole of rust on my mums old car, you prob got one lieing around?

actually yea i might have one of those, i will give that a try :D

Cant you get it rounded enough for a gromit with the drill? Like shave bits off with the side of the drill bit. It'll blunt the shaft of the drill bit but thats what i did when i needed a big hole in me boot when fitting me spoiler. I had lots of already blunt drill bits though hehe.

lol well i want it to be round so that it doesn't rust any more. i may weld it and prime it

Just file it...surely?

lol yea i know.. but it makes the most horrible noise lol

Make the grommet smaller, or get a different one?

i cant make the gromit smaller, and these were all the gromits i had, i am not sure where you get gromits from

fixed it :D

i found a larger gromit that had a smaller internal diameter, it fits fine, i am gonna cover it all now in some gunk to insulate it

there is a bit for the drill called a cone cutter. this cut the hole to the size prefered for a gromit which is 20mm i think. yes a holesaw is out the question. the cone cutter is the only way i think.

Kurust it or another similar product then just silicone the wire in place, be better than a grommet.

kurust sounds good,

the wire is gone now, and it used to be a small hole but now rust has made it bigger, the gromit is a blind one, just to plug the hole, obviously the best fix would be to file it back to bare metal and weld a disk in there, and paint it over but.... no gas for the welder >>

Back