Alloy wheels rubbing!! HELP??

edzmen

Ex. Club Member
Ive just fitted some 15'' TSW Rasor alloy wheels to my k10.

When its parked the rear wheel clearance seems to be fine, but when i go over bumps in the road with 1 or more people in the car i get a horrible rubbing noise from the rears!! :(

It seems like the suspension is compressing too much and the top of the tyre rubs on the top of the wheel arch.
Ive also got Super S arches fitted so i dont know if that makes it worse??

Can anyone suggest ideas of how i can fix this without buying new stiffer rear shocks???

Thanks,
eD

no need for 3 topics man :S

Attachments

• P1010042.JPG
    P1010042.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 289
thacreeper said:
What size tyres are on the wheels?

[I've removed the other two posts]

Does the tyre size matter??

I was told by the technical team at motorworld the my diameter tyre would fit the K10...

Is it a no-go if the tyres are too big??

Well we dont know untill you tell us what size tyres you have. However regardless you will have to do work on the rear arches. This being removing the arch lips so that the tyres dont rub.

Where would i look to find the size of the tyre - can you give me and example of a size measurement??

Its written on the wall of the tyre.. Something like 195/45/15. The tyre size does matter - the first number is the width of it, the second is the distance from the edge of the rim to the tread of the tyre as a percentage of the width measurement (that sounds a bit confusing, cant think of a better way to word it), anyway, i.e. on a given set of alloys you could have different tyres which would change the diameter of the whole thing.

If its 15's you've got, chance are it will be about 195/45 you've got.

But it will say on the tyre, not the wheel

i've got 15" TSW razors on my Super S also, (which i remember saying to you i was selling lol)

either way your arch scraping can be fixed, use an angle grinder and cut off the arch lips completely until it stops catching on them, cover the exposed metal up with something like hammerite there is no need to paint as the super s arches will cover up the mess and it will protect them from rust.

you need to get some more bump stops because the wheels rub the top of the wheel arch. with fitting more bump stops it will limit the travel suspension so that the wheel doesnt hit the top.

easy to sort out and you'll be able to nail your micra 5's up again.

thanks mark

could i buy bump stops from Halfords and how do you fit them?

my tyre measurements are 195/45 and they are TSW Razors.
Does the bodykit have to be cut back on the arches too?

thanks

nearly all cars have bump stops, i went to a scrapyard and took some off another micra. you have to jack the car up at the rear so the wheels are off the ground (take the wheels off also) undo the suspension in the boot. let it drop down and put the new bump stops in the suspension. easy.

you can get bumpstops from demon tweeks also, spax do um and probably any other suspension company.

you will have to trim the super s kit also as the tyre hits it. jack the car up and take the wheel off and look at where its been rubbing

can i suggest you only roll the arches instead of angle grinding them off as you will weaken the body shell due to the wheel arch and the outer shell not being mated any more if you grind the weld away.

when i removed around 2 inches out of my arches i re seam welded the whole lip back together to add the strengh back in there.

Or even better clean up the inner arches, then cut slots in them and hammer them over and seal them. You have to be careful but it does work.

agree with what ED says.ive got 14" TSW Razors on 175/60/14 tyres and they rubbed all the time until i did this, now i can have 5 people in the back no problem!

Edzmen any pics of your car with the new wheels? i also have a silver 5 door k10 with TSW Razors.

Thats interesting that your Razors rubbed with only 14'' wheels on Swallow.
I was told by my garage that the Micra could take 14s easy and should manage 15s fine [shows what they know!], are you running large tyres on the car then???

yea brought them 2nd hand with 175/60/14 tyres on, so the tyres arent exactly low profile. so in theory they would almost be the same diameter as 15s with 195/45/15 tyres on!

Sounds different!

You got any pics of it you could post on here?

I'd like to see a fellow silver 'Razor-clad' k10! :)

Swallow said:
......so in theory they would almost be the same diameter as 15s with 195/45/15 tyres on!

195/45/15 diameter = 555.05mm
175/60/14 diameter = 565 mm

Pretty similar

(half a centimetre extra contributing to wards rubbing)

Are you lowered and if so, what are you lowered to??

Cheers

Its not lowered. Still on standard suspension, With the car being 16 years old the suspension is pretty soft, so when cornering the tyres rubbed on the rear arches, this was until i rolled the arches. Now they dont rub at all.

cheers swallow,

help me out here though... what is ROLLING the arches?

Ive heared it a million times but I still dont know what it actually means??

Cheers

Usually the arches are gently heated to allow the paint to stretch and then a sort of large clamp is applied to the outer edge of the arch whilst an inner roller is clamped against the inner L shaped part of the arch. the roller is then progressively tightened as it is rolled back and forth along the lip to fold it back against itself.

right this is very simple to fix and totally elminate all rubbing, all you need to do is fit bump stops on the rear shocks my car doesnt rub at all no matter how hard i drive it, i havent cut away any of the super s arch only the metal lip, however i left the screw point intact. the result totally rub free car 5 up!!!!! no problems at all and the drive is not hard at all! perfect! when i change my shocks ill post a how too ;)

also i cut the arch lip of with a £12 angle grinder from B&Q DO NOT ROLL IT!!!! it will crack the paint and it will rust! i speak from experience and i did rust seal it. cut the lip it takes minitutes and is much better

ohc_turbo said:
you know the score!

took me 5 min a side, asta la vista lip

:d you know it mate its all about the power tools! best £12 i ever spent, its not only done that, it help me remove all the seized bolts on my suspension ;) that was fun :D

Yeah very illegal overloading your car got pulled with a load of birds in my car coming home from a night club! 3 Points and a fine! Also had to get to a petrol station and go to and from dropping them off!!! Not fun for them at a freezing petrol staition!!! My wheels rub a bit but only when flying round corners! I have started rolling the arches, and as i've been doing it it's been getting better! Amazing what you can do with a hammer!!!

Back