rub strips

jonpw

Ex. Club Member
I want to colour code my k11 rubstrips, any hints on how to do this? how are they connected to the car, do they need sanding first or just painting, what paint to use, etc?

they should be connected to the car by double side tape stuff, annoying to get off the car sometimes,
and heres a rough guide :
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...move-black-bumper-strips-updated-use-one.html
and as for painting should be able to give it a good clean first and then follow this:
So here are the steps to spraying bump strips from scratch.

1. Sand the strips down FLAT they must be flat, otherwise you wont get a good finish and it will also peel off after a while. So once flat (just run your hand across it and if it feels smooth then its done).

2. Once flat its time to apply you Plastic Primer, be sure its plastic primer other wise it won't stick to the plastic. Apply roughly 3 - 4 coats of primer.

3. Now use 1200 wet and dry paper (use plenty of water on the wet and dry) and sand the top surface down lightly, just give it a ever so slightly rough edge. This is required to allow the paint to sit on the primer!

4. Now start the important part of spraying the strip with your body colour. Do as many coats as you see fit (at least 4 - 5 coats). you can use the wet and dry 1200 (wet again) between each coat, but this isn't really required and just wastes time , so its up to you if you want to do this.

5. Once this is dry its time for the clear lacquer on top (remember this is ONLY if you have a metallic or pearlescent paint, with a z-s it is required). Firstly use the wet and dry 1200 again on the surface of the paint to get a grip made for the lacquer, its important you use 1200 wet and dry here with PLENTY of water here otherwise you will scar the paint). Give it about 2 - 3 coats of lacquer

6. Once dry the finish (if the steps above were followed correctly) should look pretty damn good. But if it doesn't look super then don't despair, cos T-Cut is alway there I can't recommend T-Cut enough, its super and there isn't much it can't do!!! Remember you have to use Metallic T-Cut! Give it s a few rubs over and it will look smart I assure you that.

7. There ain't a 7, it should be done now!

Let me know how you got on and if you need any tips then Ill help you out mate. Good luck!

stolen from chatbear.com

and good luck! (Y)

So if they are just stuck on, can i just remove 'em? Any tips on how to remove the sticky stuff? thanks Sed for that in depth guide btw!

I wouldn't remove them, the reason being i think you would struggle to get them back on again. Personally i would try taping them up very very well.

No i mean remove them completely, I wouldn't want to put them back on! lol

I'm going for the smooth look, so either colour coding or removal!

Oh sorry...

I would leave them on as you don't realise how handy they are until a ponker opens his door into your car, also if they have ever been lacquered over they will take paint off. (like mine)

If your gonna take them off, then i suggest checking under a little bit of each strip before you start coz i took them off 3 doors and the last one had paint chipping under it so now im left with 1 bumpstrip on...looks balls.
If i could go back i would have left them on and colour code them....if thats any use to ya(Y)

I would tape up as close around the bump strip as possible and cover as much of the side of the car as possible, then rub the strip down with some cause wetand dry then some fine wet and dry. Then check you haven't damaged any of the tape if so repair the tape.

I would be tempted to use a plastic primer as it tends to be a little more flexible, make sure its dry with no runs and you are happy, then a couple of coats of the colour and when your happy with that a couple of coats of lacquer. Careful lacquer takes ages to dry

Is the colour called arctic white or something like that?

and where can i get the exact colour from?

Back