rotting!!!

hi,
not sure if this is in the right section??

i was just cleaning my k10 and decidied to look behind the small rear wheel arch trims that you get on the 1991 models

and its rotting right to the bottom to the point there is a hole!
it there anything i can do??? at all?? obviously i dont want to cut it all out and re-pannel it

what can i do???

cheers
chub

first things first mate you need to treat the rust that there with some anti rust treatment once you've cleaned it up and sorted that you can then start fixing it up with either welding or whatever is required

can you post a pic so we can see what we're dealing with mate? then im sure we can get you some much ore constructive advice

ok
pics coming asap

chub

ok this is where the problem is
DSCF0391.jpg

this is the worst bit i think
DSCF0390.jpg

DSCF0388.jpg

ths is the other side
DSCF0387.jpg

DSCF0386.jpg

im not sure how far along it goes on the inside but the rest all looks ok but i cant tell because it may be bad on the inside

is there anything i could do/use to stop and prevent it ????

any reply much aprciated

chub

Chances are you would see bubbling of the paint around it if it had spread any further.
Not to worry though, my micra is getting to be more filler than car.
Sand back til you can see shiny metal and no rust, get some aluminum mesh and bend it to the shape of the car over the hole and use a good body filler (eg P38).
Fill over the hole and sand back, repeat until it matches the curves of the car and prime then paint.

ye that sounds like a good idea

question 1: some of the rusty bits are realy thin and i dont thing i will be able to sand them so should i just oull/cut them off?????

question 2: where can i get aluminium mesh from???

question 3: has anyone got any other solutions

thanks for replies
chub

edit: question one is refering to... this

DSCF0390.jpg

That does look quite bad :( Easy fix though :)

That's the problem with Trims....Devils in diguise....they're there to stop stone chips but end up collecting Mud and stuff.... fwn

personally i would replace that part of the sill at the bottom, as for the thin metal use some vactan rust convertor (look it up on ebay) its amazing stuff turn rusty metal back to hard metal its amazing stuff, then as already said sand back to metal, filler, prime, paint ;)

other than that you've got a very tidy car mate

hi, again
i started sorting it today
and it turns out that i have a hole(about 4cmx2.5cm)on the passenger side and two very small ones on the other side :down:

obviously it wont pass an MOT with these so how can i fix them???

just so you know they are right on the bottom and i cant get to them from the other side/top

i was thinking fiberglass or the ally mesh idea but i dont know how to get the mesh in the hole in iether case!

any help will be fantastic

cheers
chub

you need to get that welded up mate, it'll last alot longer you can pick up complete sills for £6 and if you know someone who can weld your well away.

if you intend to keep you k10 for a while mate get her fixed up properly and most of all safely the cost in the long run will be alot less although maybe more in the short term

Back