Rocking all over the M25

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi guys

This weekend up in Oxford, i had all four Toyo's on my car replaced for another set. They were getting a bit worn. Anyway, since they've been fitted, for the first 40 miles or so, things were fine - then the car steering wheel started to shake quite bad. The bloke said he would rebalance them, although thinking about it, i don't know why that was necessary. Is it possible he's messed up the balancing side of things? Why would it take so long for the shakes to appear! I did have a feeling the wheel nuts might have come loose, so pulled over on the M25 (let's hope i don't have to do that again!) but tested all those and they seemed fine.

Any suggestions?

it could of thrown a wheel weight off when you were driving, rebalance them and then see what its like then

It could also be a problem with the tyre construction that only became apparent when the tyre got warm, although it's not as likely as throwing off a balance weight.

Possible delamination of the tread surface from the carcass, sometimes occurs if the tires have been subjected to heavy shock-loading, ie, from a very broken road surface or potholes. Jack each wheel up and give it a spin while looking at the tread surface, you'll see lumps in the tires if this is the case. Unlikely on a Japanese tire but I know its something that occurs with pirelli's (P6000's mostly) after they get heavy impact.

I can see the balancing thing as the most likely thing so far. I was doing motorway speeds on the M40 for a good 30 miles without any problems, it was only after i was on the M25 for a mile or so, it started to shake loads. As the tyres are brand new, i don't expect to find any signs of damage to the surface, afterall, Motorways are very well looked after and highly unlikely to find a pot hole or rough surface on one.

ive done many thousands of miles on my old toyo tyres, same motorways and never experienced a problem like this.

Nope it carried on down the A24, etc. I've done many thousands of miles on the M25, same suspension, alloys, even model of tyre, but its only 40 miles or so after they were changed they started to go dodgey. Never experienced with any type of road service in the past with the same wheel / tyre etc. setup

my tyres did the opposite. they started pretty shakey and then as they got "run in" they seemed to become balanced and the shaking is almost gone now. wheel wieghts can come off pretty easy. probably that.

Back