Rewiring the engine bay?!

Burfy

Ex. Club Member
Yea, after 18 years this car has been alive, I've been noticing that the electrical isn't top of the line anymore haha... I just recently received the actual Nissan Mechanic's Holy Grail of all things Micra (1989) and needless to say, I'm excited. This book shows me everything from how much torque every bolt needs to a complete engine rebuild! SO, to my point... This thing also has entire schematics for under the hood. I also have excellent experience with schematics and soldering etc. so I'm pretty confident in taking on a job this size. At the moment nothing is wrong (occasionally a wire will come loose and the car won't start, wiggle the wire and voila) so I have 2 questions:
1)Should this post belong in the ICE+Electronics section? Or is it happy here
2)Should I wait until something goes wrong to redo the electrical ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda thing)

Thanks!

if you can get brand new connectors to go with the new wiring and you dont need to car on the road then id say good for it,

tbh there isnt much wiring in the engine bay anyway, if it was me and i could get new connectors i'd do it, but i would take my time making sure it looked better than factory and use heat shrink over every crimp connector and put all the wiring in a plastic tube etc

Yea, it definitely wouldn't be a crap job with the wiring... Everything would be covered, zip-tied and out of the way, maybe even colourful haha. I'm not sure if I can get the proper replacement clips though... hmm... Well, if worse comes to worse I can just use the old clips no? Just clean them up perhaps...

the crimps inside the wiring connectors are removeable and replaceable if they're in a really bad way, it saves a lot of time and effort rather than trying to clean them up.

i'd go for that if i had the time. good idea

colour code everything and keep a record of whats what though, otherwise it could be confusing in the future! white and blue wire with silver blobs doesnt tend to be readily avaliable at autofactors....... :)

the crimps inside the wiring connectors are removeable and replaceable if they're in a really bad way, it saves a lot of time and effort rather than trying to clean them up.

That's good news :blush: I'll definately re-use what I've got instead of hunting down parts lol

if you do go ahead with it, you could do one at a time and test after each one

Brilliant idea, it actually crossed my mind a couple times.. this way the car would still be usable if I had an emergency or something (like getting hungry and needing food hehe)

i'd go for that if i had the time. good idea

colour code everything and keep a record of whats what though, otherwise it could be confusing in the future! white and blue wire with silver blobs doesnt tend to be readily avaliable at autofactors....... :)

I'll definately make sure to keep a record of everything I do!

So once the weather warms up (we're expected to get 20-30cm of snow by the end of tomorrow) I'll start taking a look at things :)

I dont think youll have any problems. The K10 is so simple :) I am not sure I would bother because there really is so little to go wrong you could just fix the parts that may need it.

Yea, that was my attitude at first "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" ... but I do enjoy electronics and wiring, and since there are so few wires, I figured it would be a good learning experience :) atm it's not top priority or anything, but it's still something I would enjoy doing!

if you do go through with it please make a guide! it could be very handy for ignition faults and probably a worthy read for most k10 owners!

Bombz4, there is no real need. the K10 is so simple anyway, and even if there was one it wouldnt really be of use to anyone since you have nissan wiring not modified!

Well, I'll tell you what I will do... I'll keep a tabs on the wires that we especially grungy or the ones that were problematic and I'll report them here eh? That way you can check your car, or if you have similar problems you'll know what to target... but since we just got pummeled with 50cm of snow, everything is on hold for me... I can even get off my road :doh:

Lmao, if I had my own garage my car would be done haha... Stupid Canadian weather... In the summer I'm gunna be spamming this place with pictures and such :) Until then I think I might figure out how to become a member on these forums! Any deals for foreigners :wasntme: :laugh:

How ironic, my freaking car won't start now :mad: :mad: :mad: There were some pretty crazy winds last night and now there's a LOT of snow in the engine bay. I tried clearing some of it off the wires and such but it still won't turn over. I think my battery might not have enough cold cranking amps though. I'm 99% sure it's the original 18 year old battery that came with the car :down: So I'll call CAA (A Canadian emergency towing service) and have them check the integrity of the stupid battery.... ANYWAYS! lol... I tried jump-starting it too, but there was too much snow on the ground so the wheels just locked and slid *sigh* Oh well, I hope it's just my battery and not my coil or something :glare:

I'm 99% sure it's the original 18 year old battery

18 years! Wow. I've never heard of a car battery lasting that long. It could well be your problem, especially as your able to jump start the car (rules out wiring etc)

ok, well of course that 1% was correct, it's not 18, but it's at least 6 lol... Anyways, it wasn't the battery, the chokes in the carb throat were frozen solid haha... plus i had fuel lines that decided to freeze! anyways, it's back and kickin'... I'm definately investing in both fuel anti-freeze and a block heater :)

I think they are the only fuel additives that are worth it (the ones that scavenge the water so that the fuel doesn't freeze).

Well apparently fuel can freeze at temperatures below -15C (can anyone confirm that?) but just recently I ran a carb cleaner solution that also claimed it got rid of moisture in the fuel tank and lines, so I would've thought water wouldn't have caused it to freeze o_O

Well I think the lowest we got before it stopped working was around -35Cish? So I guess it makes sense that SOMETHING froze lol.. At first I thought that all the snow in the engine bay was shorting it out somewhere... I didn't even THINK of looking at the carb throat :glare: I'll know for next time I hope... By the way, what do you use to get the car started if you fuel lines are frozen... The mechanic who helped me out had a bottle of the stuff, but it was unmarked and I didn't have time to ask him lol. He just shot some down the throat and the car started beautifully.

Back