K11 - Fitting After Market Steering Wheel

Quick guide to replacing the airbag wheel on the K11 micra. Not a hard task so a guide isnt really needed, but I'm bored so here it is:

Tools needed (2000 car):
19mm socket and an extension
12mm spanner for removing battery
T30 Torx
Phillips and Flat headed screwdriver
3mm allen key

1)
Disconnect the positive wire on the battery and leave it 10 minutes.
IMAG0804.jpg

2)
Remove the flaps on either side of wheel, just ping of with a small flat head screwdriver
Then undo the T30 Torx sockets hidden within these flaps.
IMAG0807.jpg

3)
Pull the front section off of the wheel it, it slides out without force.
IMAG0808.jpg

4)NOTE: Ensure the wheel is in the straight ahead position before removing it.
Undo the 19mm socket in the middle of the wheel, BUT leave it on by a few turns.
There are a few cables you will need to undo before removing the wheel, one for the horn and one for the airbag. Fairly obvious cables.
This is so when you have to tug the wheel off of the splines, it doesn't smack you in the face like it did me. It hurts.

5)
I then unscrewed the SRS airbag thing (Black and Yellow) hidden behind the wheel, undoing four Phillips screws in each corner. This requires the steering wheel cowl being removed, by two screws underneath the cowl.
Removing the airbag thing will stop your indicators self cancelling, and also stop the horn working. To keep you horn, you need to perform some electrical wizardy which I haven't done yet, but will do and will update this when it comes to it.
IMAG0811.jpg

It will then look like this
IMAG0812.jpg

6) Fit your new wheel onto the boss, and fit it onto the splines ensuring the wheel is in the straight ahead position.
Tighten the center nut to 35Nm (Basically till it feels snug)
And voila, you will have a super awesome wheel
IMAG0813.jpg

Hopefully this of help to someone. If not, it kept me busy for a few minutes writing this :)

Hi Huggy444
Have u performed some electrical wizardy yet? I spent whole day today trying to make the horn work but it seems to be more complicated than I thought. Thanks!

Haven't actually performed the wizardry, but if you have a Google there's a few things out there...
If you're good with wiring it's fairly self explanatory, just tap into the horn. The hard bit is having cabling that can be turned with the steering wheel... Hard for me to explain without pictures.
Good luck for it

I never did get the horn wired to the wheel.... At a rally (that's what I use the car for) a scrutineer pulled me up for not having a horn, so I quickly just wired the horn to a button on the dash.

If you want to do the same, it's a very easy job, just find the horn wire ( I believe it's blue) and wire that to the switch, and then ground the other wire. I'll post a link to a good guide on fitting a horn to the wheel.

Okay, the parts have arrived today and I'd like to crack on. I'm very nervous regarding the airbag, as several people have warned me it's very iffy terrority for a complete beginner to start at. What are the chances of the airbag going off? Apparently anything can cause it, if the wires accidentally touch or if you're unscrewing something and it slides out and it's the sensor.

Okay, the parts have arrived today and I'd like to crack on. I'm very nervous regarding the airbag, as several people have warned me it's very iffy terrority for a complete beginner to start at. What are the chances of the airbag going off? Apparently anything can cause it, if the wires accidentally touch or if you're unscrewing something and it slides out and it's the sensor.

Ensure you disconnect the battery at least 30mins before starting dismantling the wheel, if you're really worried I guess you could also take the fuse out for the airbag system.

This should make it impossible for the bag to go off if anything goes wrong, but also I never sat directly behind the steering wheel until the bag was removed (undid all the bolts whilst sitting to the side of the wheel, just in case!)

It's a very easy task to do! You'll be fine :)

The trick to making horns work is a sprung connection, it's really easy. Find the horn wire, attach a piece of metal to the column so that it will push against the metal on the boss, connect the wire. Simple as that!

This is my old civic:

Back