engine trouble for micra

CMF_Brendon

» CMF Member
hi

my brother julian he's on this site sometimes but anyways rang me up to tell me he on side of M4 with micra broken!

he said was driving and engine started making clacking clunking noises he immediately pulled over and tunred off car, turned back on for a minute and engine making lots of wierd noises.

now his oil level was on low, but that should not be low enough for it to seize up but its a possibility,
other thing i thought timing chain tensioners could of busted and noise is the timing chain flapping around. he said with his screwdriver he can put in through oil cap hole and lift the chain up above the sprockets.. i dont know how tight or lose the chain should be but that seems a bit lose to me. and if its timing chain he could have bent valves as well.
also could of done low end bearing? bent rods.
man it could be anything. im just goiing on what he has told me.
water level is good and engine temp was fine.

he only 10 mins from home as well. lol
he gonna getit towed home just to reduce risk of causing even more damage.

so what ya reckno the damage is.
how much can you get a new motor for?
swap old for new plus cash, what places do that and can anyone recomend a descent mechanic in penrith area.

thanks for reading. please reply with answers to what could be wrong.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Few things it could be.

Don't drive it until its home and you can inspect it more. Timing chain will make more of a grating noise if a tensioner buggers up. Sounds like it is stuffed anyway.

Low oil could have caused an oil starvation to the bottom end while going around a bend. This would result in no oil to float the bearings meaning zing... big end problems.

Could also be the gearbox if it is happening with the clutch pedal let out. But there'd be a nice puddle under the car by now if it was the input shaft bearings.

Back