rev limiter ?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
sportsclassic

i,ve been ragging it like that for the past 6 months, thinking i had,nt reached the limiter !

fred

i assume the limiter cuts the injectors, and the gas is,nt governed by the ecu

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"sportsclassic<BR><BR>i,ve been ragging it like that for the past 6 months, thinking i had,nt reached the limiter !<BR><BR>fred<BR><BR>i assume the limiter cuts the injectors, and the gas is,nt governed by the ecu

it shows just how tough the micra engines are!
yeh there is a rev limiter called the bee r limiter they cut spark.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
why fit a rev limiter when the engine is still pulling strongly at 8000+ rpm ?
these 1.0,s go really well with the right modifications, a 0 to 60mph of 9 secs is achievable for very little expense

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
sportsclassic

you guys have shown that these engines will stand 150hp+ so 80hp at another 1500rpm with a shorter stroke is no problem surely ?
the 1.0,s have the same breathing capability as the 1.3 (ie same valves, ports, manifolds, t/b, exhaust system etc), so with some piper cams, modded manifold
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/TomEA/PICT0048.jpg
and 2nd decat
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/TomEA/PICT0046.jpg
and a squashed down pressure relief valve to up the fuelrail pressure, to stop it leaning out at high revs, a blocked off limiter hole in the dizzy and a lightened f/wheel make it a very lively 1.0 micra

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
The rev limiter is still working but if you hit high rpms very quickly it takes a while for it to kick in. This happens on the drag strip quite a lot, if you launch too agressively in 1st you can exceed the rev limiter initially gas or no gas.

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
frank

sir is this the only thing to cover up? the little hole?
what tape did you use to cover it up?

Attachments

• 33528.jpg
    33528.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 39

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
smidge

i see thanks a lot.. by the way, wont the tape fly out due to constant spinning?

anyways ill try it out. ill inform you guys as soon as i mod it :D
thanks.

aki

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Two things

-Sure it can rev, but will it actually make any power after about 6500? Unless you get cams to suit (maybe?) I can't see the point.

-Secondly, weren't the bottom ends a bit questionable over 7500? Wouldn't go revving it that high too often if I were you - like said, rev limiters are there for a reason.

---dens

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
@frank

yes im planning to lighten some more but i need to have another backup flywheel just in case.

OT: by the way, how did you mod your stock extractors?

@dens

before i tampered with the dizzy, the engine can only give power about 6000rpm and the rest was just like screaming "enough!". but after the mod, the engine is crying for "more rev" coz it still feels light when i reached about 7200rpm. i haven't tried going over 7200rpm though.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Fair enough - if it were me i'd probably install an aftermarket rev limiter just so it can't go too high and that it can be set to any desired point. Wouldn't mind seeing a dyno graph of one of your cars with the rev limiter disabled ;)

---dens

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
@dens

would love to dyno my car but sad thing is no there is no dyno shop in our city. have to transport my car via ship to dyno it in another city that has one approximately 350kms away.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
fred

good old stick welder, with standard rods, if you bevel and gap the join, then run a weld, then grind it flat, and then run a 1/2" weld over the top of that, it seems to hold very well

frank

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
fred WROTE:

"well,well.... I had everyone shake their heads about converting the standard manifold to a turbo mainifold....

What's wrong with that? :) Hehe.. Would be a nice cheap way of making a turbo manifold if you're doing it yourself.. means that all you need is a turbo flange and some welding skills and you're done! From memory the idea has been brought up in discussions before. Would probably be as inefficient (or efficient) as a log manifold, but for a budget setup, who cares?

---dens

CMF_Akinari

» CMF Member
@ frank

thank you for the info regarding the extractors. ill keep you guys updated on my mods..

i tried fitting a 4-1 extractors before but it didn't work out well.

CMF_Monchi

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

i want to pick up this old thread cause i have a problem after removing the rev limiter (´94 1,3 Super S).

i taped the little square hole like shown in the video and as described. i used same tape as in the video and from my point of view i did it well.

The Problem: The next days after removing the rev limiter the car runs really good and it worked excellent in the first two gears, exactly what i wanted.

But after a few days i had some probs. during accleration the engine runs not so good, especially in rev area 3000-4000rpm and furthermore i can here something knocking from the engine pay when the car stands and the engine is running.

I removed the tape and everythin was ok (beside that i can no longer rev to 8000rpm)
What is the reason for this problems? May i did something wrong after all? Can the engine be destroyed ?? Should i try it one more time?

Many thanks i advance for yr help.
monchi

Back