poormans decat

Could you not have just smashed the cermic honeycomb and keep the silencerness of it?

Like the wide-neck mod though :)
Craig

craig

the exhaust exits the 2,1/2" cat hole then hits a flat plate with a 1,1/4 hole in the middle, that can,t be good for gasflow surely ?
i think a straight pipe is better imo

Ah, you've enlarged the frontpipe too then? Didn't realise that - straight pipe is def. better, you going for 2 1/4" the whole way through? Seems a trifle large to may (but I abviously havne't any kind of evidence to back this up so more of a query than a riticism)?
Craig

craig

my system is bog standard, i think its big enough for a 1.0, the only restriction i believe is the 4 into 2 on the manifold (which i opened up with a die grinder), the neck (which is about 2x bigger now and enters the cat dead centre now) and the flat plate after the 2nd cat

Just wondering, how did you weld that, braze, MIG or TIG and how easy was it?
CHeers Craig

P.S. You not thought about re-working the cat exit?

craig

good old dependable stick welder (bought it in the late 70,s iirc :grinning: )
2nd cat exit ?

Yeah, I have a diagram somewhere suggesting good tapers bot into an dout of cats to aid flow.
Whether it will make any difference at all, let alone on a 1l, is conjecture but it can't hurt to try?

How much penetration have you got with that weld, do you know?

Craig

craig

i thought about doing that too, but just dieground as big a radius as i could when i fitted the middle and rear a while back
the manifold was done the same as the other ones, butt welded the join then ground it flat, then ran another 1/2" wide weld over the top

Interesting, I take it that it is sturdy enough!
Did you think about messing aboutwith some butweld pipe instead of the stock cast pipes, or were you trying to keep the standard look?
Craig

craig

the stock design is,nt that bad imo, just the narrow neck and the off center position over the cat and while it was cut i was able to open up the 4 into 2 ports with a die grinder
and this one is,nt a "visable" mod ;)

Back