Resistor?

C

ChuckleBunny

Hello all.

My "Blower" will only work on the full setting which is rather annoying. Ive seen a tread on here saying it might be the resistor, but i cant find mine! fwn The tread said it was under the glovebox and looks like a gold credit card.

Any ideas were to find it?

1995 Micra, 10L 16valve

Many thanx!

ok,

right if you look in the passenger foot well and look up at the bottom of the glove box you should see a round black thing, this is the motor for the aircon, then behind (i think) is two philips screws and a brown plug between them. if you unplug the brown plug and undo the screws you should be able to pull out the credit card like thing. the brown plug plugs into it.

these always go wrong. they are in that slot because they get hot and the fan cools it down. the fan will still work with it unpluged but only on 4.

find one in a scrap yard. i sent four of them the Dr. Nokia but that was all the ones in my local scrappy so i can't get any more :down:

hope this helps. good luck :)

No luck :down: All the scrappys in my area dont have a resistor!! Any1 know anywere else i can get 1 from? Or can any1 get hold of 1 for me??

try sending Dr. nokia an e-mail..........

i'd have a look in my local scrappy but i can only look at the weekends and i'm busy this weekend so it would be a while before i could get one....

Whats his email addy m8?

While im at it, maybe u can help with summot else? :glance:

I need to replae the perspex infront of the speedo because of a crack in it. Any ideas how to get it off? Sorry about the lack of knowlede!

cheers

Hi, I also need one of these resistors - was quoted 15 quid from an autospares place at the weekend, which i thought was a bit of a ripoff for what it is.

I know some posters have said they can get them for free but i would be willing to pay a reasonable fee and the postage.

If you have one available please email me. thanks

RE: RE: Resistor?

drpepper970 said:
Hi, I also need one of these resistors - was quoted 15 quid from an autospares place at the weekend, which i thought was a bit of a ripoff for what it is.

I know some posters have said they can get them for free but i would be willing to pay a reasonable fee and the postage.

If you have one available please email me. thanks

Hi

This sounds like the same problem Iv'e got. I'll have a look around the scrapyards in my area for one but if I don't have any luck is there anyone else that has one laying about which i could have for a small fee :p

Cheers:grinning:

ebay... look for the people selling off their cars in components. They'll usually have one.

Andy_S said:
ive replaced mine 2 times now :( each time stopped working after a few days
That's 'cos the blower motor's drawing too much current; u need to either lube the motor bearing or, if that's not sufficient, get another one.

i have the same problem where i have fitted a new resistor and it die's after a few days, are you able to tell how i can lube the motor bearings please?

usman_a said:
i have the same problem where i have fitted a new resistor and it die's after a few days, are you able to tell how i can lube the motor bearings please?
There's a cap in the centre of the motor casing on the end (u can get at it without unscrewing the motor) which can be prised off with a knife/screwdriver/prising thing; this exposes the bearing. I just used WD40 'cos that's all I had but I've no idea if it was really effective. The bearing doesn't seem to have been designed to make it easy to lube. I'll have to try some oil, 3-in-1 or somet' like that.
I managed to 'fix' my resistor card by scraping the fusible link bit off and joining the contacts this exposes with a blob of solder. I now await the imminent electrical fire :laugh: I also noticed that the thing actually gets quite hot when it's operating o_O I'm going to try and get another motor unit in better condition 'cos the knackered one I've got is just an electrical hazard. Hopefully they should have less of a rocking horse turd nature than the resistor cards.

lol well lets hope it doesnt catch fire and roast you to Kingdom come......if you dont me asking from one Bradistani to another, where is this motor?? I do most of the work on the car my self but this is a little advance for me. lol pls i hope you dont mind me asking b/c at the moment i three main problems on the car which am trying to find sluation for.....the starting problem has been diagnosed to the dizzy being a dizzy leaving over the resistor and windscreen washers (seem to have lost pressure and stopped pulling water).

usman_a said:
lol well lets hope it doesnt catch fire and roast you to Kingdom come......if you dont me asking from one Bradistani to another, where is this motor??
It's under the dashboard in the passenger footwell, right next to the door. It's a big round thing with a flexible pipe coming out of it and it's held on with 3 screws.
I dunno about the widscreen washers, it might be a leak or the pump might be knackered.

squigbobble said:
I now await the imminent electrical fire.
I'm beginning to think I might be safe from setting my wiring alight; mostly 'cos I discovered that the entire blower circuit is fused (as well as the resistor card). I discovered this the stupid way by blowing the fuse when I put my fan on full and it stopped working completely o_O Alternatively, I could've just looked at the wiring diagrams in the back of the Haynes manual :upside: Luckily Nissan give u a few spare fuses (one of each, lol) so I'm on one of those at the moment, I just have to remember not to turn the fan up past 2 :upside: 'cos I don't have another 15A one and I'm not putting a higher rated one in.

As u can tell, my fan is really dying now in spite of my experiments with lubrication. I've discovered a few things about that which others may find useful/amusing-

1. WD40 works a bit but makes ur car smell of it for at least a day.
2. 3in1 oil also seems to work to some degree.
3. The brown oil (resembling engine oil) in a rusty oiling pump/can thing in my parents' cellar BOILS :wow: in the bearing, produces smoke, smells of burning and overall gives the impression that ur car is on/is about to be on fire. Stick with WD40 and 3in1 oil.

I really need a new blower, the trick is avoiding ending up with one in a similar state to mine.

the resistor card is in the back of the motor so that it can get cold air from the fan. its normal for it to get hot, its what resistors do :) and the brown lines are wires of different resistances. :)

Back